Storing grass seed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have a couple of bags of grass seed that I have not used yet, and I doubt I will get them laid before winter sets in.

Is it safe to store them in the unheated garage over the winter where it hits sub zero temperatures?

I keep my grass seeds in my nightstand drawer :rofl:

frodo -

Just in case you decide to sow some oats or grass in the middle of the night?

Dick

Grass seed has a germination percentage number. When you buy quality seed the number is high and the seed is made for the year it is sold in. each year it is kept the yield goes down. You will be fine keeping it over one year but try and get it in next spring. Grass does best with warm days and cool nights and doesn’t like being planted mid summer.

Make sure it is dry. Put it in some breathable bags and store in a place with decent air circulation to fight mold. Should last the better part of a year, but not much longer.

Make sure it is dry. Put it in some breathable bags and store in a place with decent air circulation to fight mold. Should last the better part of a year, but not much longer.

It is in the bags I bought them in.

Back