Noise coming from where floor meets the wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
The wall in both of these photos is the same wall separating both rooms in the photos. The black circled area is where the popping sounds come from. The sounds were completely absent in the spring and summer but have came about since it got cool out and our heat started to kick on. Any idea of what the cause is or a solution? It’s not faint noises, can be heard from other rooms and only when walked on.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1509554306.525759.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1509554315.852290.jpg

I have access under my house via crawlspace. Think I could look for anything specific? All ductwork is visible underneath

I have access under my house via crawlspace. Think I could look for anything specific? All ductwork is visible underneath

The few times I have done this it was something obvious things. Like ducts not hung properly. I had one that the boot was moving. the boot is the part that comes thru the floor that the register sits in.

So I may have just been lucky, so I am not sure what else to look for.

I’ll check. You don’t think there enough contraction to have to put some extra support under that wall do you due to flexing

Some times, the floor will flex under a none bearing wall and make noise. Causes no problem but if you can locate it from below you can screw up into the wall. The heat coming on is a good clue for duct work first.

I’ll get under the house and check it out. The noises are only present when the floor is walked on or around, however.

Last edited:
I’ll get under the house and check it out. The noises are only present when the floor is walked on or around, however.

Have some one walk on it will you are down there. Hold on to things and see if you can feel it. I mean parts of the house that is.:rofl:

I has this problem at one of my rental properties. When the floor was walked on in a certain area, you would hear metal pops. The cause was that the joist would flex a small amount and the return duct under that joist would flex and m as key that noise. Tightening the existing duct hangers and adding extras fixed the problem.

Awesome. Got a day off work tomorrow so I will crawl under check it out and let you know.

I got under the house and accessed the situation today. Seems some 1/2” pvc connected to the joists makes a loud noise when touched or moved under the house. Duct work seemed fine, made no noise when pushed on or touched. Think putting some more brackets on the joists to those 1/2” pvc’s could work? I didn’t see any gaps in the subfoor and joists so not sure what else to do

Doesn't sound like it would be the problem but adding a few clips is cheap and will rule it out if nothing else.

Yeah, it didn’t help. Could be subfloor problem in carpeted room. Gonna use the squeak no more carpet solution in that room and see if it helps that and both rooms

Yeah, it didn’t help. Could be subfloor problem in carpeted room. Gonna use the squeak no more carpet solution in that room and see if it helps that and both rooms

If you can figure where the joist is you can put in a finishing nail or two thru the carpet. Put the nail on a toenail.

Latest posts

Back