Refinishing walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My bathrooms has thin tongue and groove wood on some of the walls. Where there is no wood, but where there might have been before, it looks like there was something used behind it on the drywall. It makes the drywall rough.

I plan to pull off most, if not all of the wood, and then paint the walls.

How do I fix that rough drywall?

Also, on the one wall I might leave the wood on, there is a wood board that has a large paint mark on it. How can I remove it?

Also, how can I refinish that wood wall to make it nicer. The colour is fine, I just want to seal it up so that I don't have to worry about it molding or rotting.

And finally.... There is a hole the size of a piece of paper in a wall. How can I fix that as well?

Please post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.

Sounds like bead board and many people glued it up with liquid nails. When you pry some of it off you will see what I’m talking about. Often it will pull the paper off and the roughness might be compound used to fix that. In a small bath with that many problems I would pull it all down, then see what I have behind it and put up new green board or what ever they are using in bathrooms these days.

No doubt in my mind I would rip it down to the studs and redo. When you have it down to studs pay attention where you want towel bars and TP holder and put blocking in between the studs to screw to.

You will spend more time smoothing out the old than putting in new IMO.

No doubt in my mind I would rip it down to the studs and redo. When you have it down to studs pay attention where you want towel bars and TP holder and put blocking in between the studs to screw to.

You will spend more time smoothing out the old than putting in new IMO.

...... and more money.

My time is free when it comes to the labour I put into my home.

I was thinking of getting some of the drywall crack compound and just smoothing it over. That one board, I could likely sand.

This bathroom may get redone, but only if I stay in this house long term.

Back