Fixing a hole in drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have a hole in a wall in my bathroom. How is the simplest way to fix it? As far as I can tell, there is no stud for me to screw into.

Work a stick thru the hole inside the wall and screw it in place. cut a patch and hold that over the hole and draw a line around it. cut the hole to make the patch fit. screw it to the stick and tape and fill.

Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?
What size is the hole?
A big difference in how to fix a simple old nail hole, to a fist or bigger hole.

Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?
What size is the hole?
A big difference in how to fix a simple old nail hole, to a fist or bigger hole.

I am having problems uploading the picture. it is abut 6 inches wide by about 12 inches high

Interesting construction on the wall in the video, there is a gap between the stud and the existing drywall.

Not sure why it was a double stud wall, It looks like it is a partial wall. The other thing that was odd, he deployed a drywall saw to make the patch where all he needed to do was move towards the end of the scrap drywall and make one cut with a utility knife.

I tried to find a hot patch video but none came up on the first page of searches.

Not sure why it was a double stud wall, It looks like it is a partial wall. The other thing that was odd, he deployed a drywall saw to make the patch where all he needed to do was move towards the end of the scrap drywall and make one cut with a utility knife.

I tried to find a hot patch video but none came up on the first page of searches.

That is a demonstration wall standing in front of the yellow one it is built like 2 walls so it will stand with out being tipsy.
I can't remember the last time I used a saw I just keep cutting with a knife.:p

No he does not, that stud is inches away from the board he is patching.
He is patching between studs. I don't know what else to say.:)

There is a board behind his hole. There is no board behind mine.

But, I do get the idea.

There is a board behind his hole. There is no board behind mine.

But, I do get the idea.

Go to 1:54 on the video and see that he has room to put the board behind the drywall without dealing with the stud. That stud is not close to the drywall he is working on. Just pay attention to the procedure and ignore the stud.:confused:

Back