A few questions about installing tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
There is a space where I was told I need a threshold because of differences in elevation of the floor where it transitions between these two rooms. How do I install this correctly?

Also, some primer was put on this vinyl to make it ready for tile, but it was applied almost 2 months ago. Do I need to reapply the primer?

1123170732.jpg

1123170731.jpg

1123170731a.jpg

Okay I found out I need a type of transition strip called a reducer. It's going from tile to tile, but I don't think they make the strips out of ceramic. Is wood my only option?

What exactly do those three pictures have in common?

They are the same house.

Picture #1 shows the areas of different elevation.

Picture #2 shows the vinyl that the primer in Picture #3 was put on a few months ago.

Can I mix thinset with a 20V DeWalt drill?

I'm going to be mixing in a 5 gallon bucket with a paddle that looks like this.... (pic attached).

Do I need something better like a driver?

61dPKONTxQL._SL1000_.jpg

035965145718.jpg

Can I mix thinset with a 20V DeWalt drill?

I'm going to be mixing in a 5 gallon bucket with a paddle that looks like this.... (pic attached).

Do I need something better like a driver?

That tool and wand will suffice for small quantities.

I mixed thinset and layed 1800 sq ft of wood plank tile using an 18 volt DeWalt similar to what you have pictured.

20150509_182941_resized.jpg

6-3-14a.jpg

20150509_183057_resized.jpg

1318801236497.jpg

IMG_20120318_152904.jpg

What was the reason for not removing the vinyl in the first place? Did I miss this?

So as not to disturb asbestos.

At least according to 50% of the people that looked at it.

Does the dwelling predate the 50 & 60's, because that would have been the era when asbestos was last used as a binder in linoleum.

The elec. service photo you posted in another thread, post dates that.

Does the dwelling predate the 50 & 60's, because that would have been the era when asbestos was last used as a binder in linoleum.

The elec. service photo you posted in another thread, post dates that.

Original construction was 1954.

I would be concerned about the tile cracking with that vinyl under it. I may be wrong, but would certainly make sure the thinset had an elastic modified polymer in it. I purchased my thinset from Lowes since Home Depot did not carry it. (at the time, but it has been a few years and two knees ago when I did that job!)

Original construction was 1954.

Thanks.

Asbestos only becomes dangerous when it is friable, IE, airborne, so I would have, depending upon size of the area, rented a compressor and the flooring stripper, dampened the area and removed it. Cut-back adhesive was no longer used in that era.

Thanks.

Asbestos only becomes dangerous when it is friable, IE, airborne, so I would have, depending upon size of the area, rented a compressor and the flooring stripper, dampened the area and removed it. Cut-back adhesive was no longer used in that era.

Okay.

But in any event, should I reapply that primer?

Okay.

But in any event, should I reapply that primer?

As it says on the container, it's a vinyl add-mix that causes non-modified thin set and grout to become water repellant, it also increases the adhesive properties as well as the work time.

Using the product as a primer creates a barrier and would limit or restrict the adhesive properties inherent in the thinset.

Latest posts

Back