1970's shower remodel needs ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akersr

Established Member
Reaction score
We have two tile showers in our mid 1970's home. They both need replacing. They are small, dark, cramped, and leaking through the walls and floors. The entry doors are 23.5" x 74". The floor measures 30" x 34". Ideally the entry way would be bigger and the ceiling taller. I've replaced a tub and walls etc in past projects but never a stand alone shower. Not looking for luxury, just efficiency. Insert vs tiled? I know this is a very general question. Thanks for any pointers or ideas in advance.

Thanks

exhibit a.jpg

exhibit b.jpg

Personally I don't like inserts for anything other than rental properties. 30x34 is a standard size for showers (i.e. you can buy a replacement pan). I would demo the walls (use this opportunity to expand the opening) and ceilings (usually those lowered ceilings in showers are just boxes that can be removed) in the stall. Replace the pan, install new fixtures, hang new cement board, apply 2-3 coats of Red Guard and then install new tile/doors of your choice.

Some things to watch out for:
* Drain placement (if this is a floor without access from underneath you don't want to be moving the drain).
* Existing water damage.

Last edited:
I just cringe when people ask "what's the smallest shower I can install.
Lighter colors, adding a light in the shower can help.
I know it's hard taking pictures in a small room, but a simple drawing with dimensions may come up with some ideas.

Latest posts

Back