What kind of trim do I put on the side and back of this dishwasher?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This will be in the center island. On the left will be the sink cabinet. On right, I'm hoping I can just put a trim piece and not have to put another base cabinet.

1210172018.jpg

You should be able to get a blank panel to match your cabinets if they are new.

Okay.

Do you know how I anchor the sink cabinet? If it was on the wall, I would screw it to a stud, but what if it's on an island?

To anchor an island screw some 2x4's or 2x2' to the floor the size of the inside of the toe kick area and screw through the toe kick into these.

Okay.

Do you know how I anchor the sink cabinet? If it was on the wall, I would screw it to a stud, but what if it's on an island?

Anchoring the sinkbase is the easy part of the island.
!.What is the counter material, and will there be an eating counter overhang?
2.How are you finishing the back of the island?

You can purchase a base FEP, finished end panel.

All the cabinet accessories will be available on the cabinet mfg's web site.

Assuming the "island" is just the Dishwasher and the Sink Cabinet with no cabinets on the other side, he would need to build a framework on the side (and back of the island) using Plywood attached to each other (L brackets) and the floor (usually a 2x4 mounted with the narrow side [1.75"] against the floor) to support the weight of the counter top. Depending on the space available it might also be easier to just put in a small (15" wide) drawer cabinet if you are using stock cabinets.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xn2n2lZwQ[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgR2GKHTHE[/ame]

To anchor an island screw some 2x4's or 2x2' to the floor the size of the inside of the toe kick area and screw through the toe kick into these.

For this, I would need a hammer drill and Tapcon screws to anchor to the concrete. This is my sink cabinet. There is a 5" tall space underneath.

Also, I had planned on putting tile under it. Should I not put tile underneath the center island? I am going to put it under the cabinets that are on the wall.

How do I anchor the dishwasher?

1211172148.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming the "island" is just the Dishwasher and the Sink Cabinet with no cabinets on the other side, he would need to build a framework on the side (and back of the island) using Plywood attached to each other (L brackets) and the floor (usually a 2x4 mounted with the narrow side [1.75"] against the floor) to support the weight of the counter top. Depending on the space available it might also be easier to just put in a small (15" wide) drawer cabinet if you are using stock cabinets.

Do you have a picture of this? I can't find anything on Google. I get the part about fastening the sink cabinet to 2x4's, but not how to fasten the dishwasher.

Anchoring the sinkbase is the easy part of the island.
!.What is the counter material, and will there be an eating counter overhang?
2.How are you finishing the back of the island?

You can purchase a base FEP, finished end panel.

All the cabinet accessories will be available on the cabinet mfg's web site.

There will be a 1 foot overhang on one of the long edges, and all the other sides will be 1.5".

It will be granite.

There will be a 1 foot overhang on one of the long edges, and all the other sides will be 1.5".

It will be granite.

If your counter is 2CM you need a roughtop, if it's 3CM you do not.

A roughtop simplifies everything, the stability of the overhang, anchoring the DW, attaching the DW FEP and that end of the finished back panel.

The DW FEP also anchors to the floor with a 1X2 and Tapcons.

If your counter is 2CM you need a roughtop, if it's 3CM you do not.

A roughtop simplifies everything, the stability of the overhang, anchoring the DW, attaching the DW FEP and that end of the finished back panel.

The DW FEP also anchors to the floor with a 1X2 and Tapcons.

Should I not tile under this?

Do I attach the FEP's with big, ugly screws? Or something like 15 ga finishing nails? Would that be strong enough?

Is it one long back end panel for the sink cabinet + dishwasher, or 2 separate pieces?

Should I not tile under this?

First of all, the way that floor has been butchered, I wouldn't tile that floor on a bet.

But since you insist, tile under the entire island, set the cabinets, leav a couple of boxes of tile for repairs.

Do I attach the FEP's with big, ugly screws? Or something like 15 ga finishing nails? Would that be strong enough?

Screw the roughtop down and the finish nails will work.

You'll need a piece of face frame for the front of the FEP, which will set the FEP far away from the DW so that GFCI in the end panel's elec. box will fit.

The DW opening measures 24".

Is it one long back end panel for the sink cabinet + dishwasher, or 2 separate pieces?

The island will be longer than 48", the width of the finished panel, which is 4X8, so you'll need to make several cuts and use outside corner to finish the corners.

You'll also need a couple 1X4 at the back of the sinkbase to attach the plumbing too.

Last edited:
First of all, the way that floor has been butchered, I wouldn't tile that floor on a bet.

But since you insist, tile under the entire island, set the cabinets, leav a couple of boxes of tile for repairs.

Screw the roughtop down and the finish nails will work.

You'll need a piece of face frame for the front of the FEP, which will set the FEP far away from the DW so that GFCI in the end panel's elec. box will fit.

The DW opening measures 24".

The island will be longer than 48", the width of the finished panel, which is 4X8, so you'll need to make several cuts and use outside corner to finish the corners.

You'll also need a couple 1X4 at the back of the sinkbase to attach the plumbing too.

So then I would need to screw through wood --> tile --> concrete? A Tapcon can do this without shattering the tile?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton...CH=REC-_-rv_mobileweb_rr-_-NA-_-300805399-_-N

This is what I need for the dishwasher end. The back should be 60"x34.5".

I had planned on putting the GFCI inside the sink cabinet on the end. I didn't think I had any other option. You are saying I should extend the length of the island a few inches so that a work box will fit?

What is the definition of rough top? I can't find it on Google. Is it a type of granite?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back