How to replace bathroom exhaust fan without ripping out ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I think the problem is that it has these flanges that keep it in. (Red arrow). And I foresee the same problem getting the new one back in.

1211171932.jpg

XCamera-20171211_213205.jpg

Just replace the motor and/or the impeller.

Just replace the motor and/or the impeller.

Okay. But what if I just wanted to replace the whole thing? How would I do that?

Since I already bought the whole thing.

I know I can just take the motor out of what I bought, but let's just say I want to replace the whole thing for some reason.

I think the problem is that it has these flanges that keep it in. (Red arrow). And I foresee the same problem getting the new one back in.

Notice the key slot for the screw that holds it in place. You may be able to knock it up a little and dislodge it. Or slip a hacksaw blade in there and cut the nails.
You may have to cut slots in the drywall to move them in and out then you screw thru the body from the inside of the housing.

Notice the key slot for the screw that holds it in place. You may be able to knock it up a little and dislodge it. Or slip a hacksaw blade in there and cut the nails.
You may have to cut slots in the drywall to move them in and out then you screw thru the body from the inside of the housing.

How did they get it in there in the first place? Seems too difficult and like there should be an easier way to replace these.

How did they get it in there in the first place? Seems too difficult and like there should be an easier way to replace these.

It went in before the drywall went up. I had seen that move before so when I did mine I bent those flanges out of the way and screwed from the inside. Lucky thing to as I had to go back in and put a light over the shower and I was able to work thru that whole. If you have the same unit I would just swap out the guts.

You can find strange things above a ceiling. A friend had an apartment where the fan made no difference and moved very little air. All the drywall had to be removed as it was all moldy. We found a dropped ceiling to allow plumbing from upstairs. The guy put up the fan and used 5 90s and a 45 to go around the plumbing and out a wall that was on an angle to the bathroom and one connection had fallen apart and the duct was laying in fiber glass for 30 years. I moved the new fan over 2 ft and used 1 45* to get out of the room.

I'm going to assume you don't have attic access to this space right?

I would do as some of the other folks have mentioned cut out the old one and bend the flanges on the new one out of the way. Alternatively you could buy a different fan that's made for a remodel (NuTone EZ fit) that may be easier to work with.

I'm going to assume you don't have attic access to this space right?

I would do as some of the other folks have mentioned cut out the old one and bend the flanges on the new one out of the way. Alternatively you could buy a different fan that's made for a remodel (NuTone EZ fit) that may be easier to work with.

If I bend the flanges, what will keep it in the ceiling?

How do I bend the flanges?

If I bend the flanges, what will keep it in the ceiling?

How do I bend the flanges?

As nealtw mentioned you would screw it to the joist through the inside of the fan box. Even if you could could somehow get it up there with the flanges you wouldn't be able to reach them anyway. Again it would be much easier to get a new fan that was made for remodels or to simply replace the motor (if there is a problem) and/or the trim for the existing fan.

As for bending/removing the flanges you could use a hammer and hammer them towards the box. Personally I would probably remove them with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Last edited:
As nealtw mentioned you would screw it to the joist through the inside of the fan box. Even if you could could somehow get it up there with the flanges you wouldn't be able to reach them anyway. Again it would be much easier to get a new fan that was made for remodels or to simply replace the motor (if there is a problem) and/or the trim for the existing fan.

As for bending/removing the flanges you could use a hammer and hammer them towards the box. Personally I would probably remove them with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

What if there is no joist?

Latest posts

Back