DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Bathtub needs new caulking at the floor line

Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM  
Packy

Default Bathtub needs new caulking at the floor line

As far as I know, the sealant between my fiberglass tub and vinyl floor is still doing the job, but after twenty-five years it's dingy, dirty, ugly, and uneven. I'd love to remove that old stuff and prettify the tub-floor line with new stuff. Would I be able to generate enough heat with a hair-dryer to remove the original caulking (renting a real heat gun is not an option where I live)?

For what it's worth, I poked the caulking with a brad and discovered it's still pliant below the skin. Had the tub not settled, there would not have been a problem!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Community Packy:
Knives and icepicks are good for removing caulk. I would not heat it up for fear of damage to the fiberglass. Try to start at one end and you can usually pull it out like a rope.
Replace the caulk with white silicone (if your tub is white) or use clear silicone for any other color.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply