DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Deck Board Gap

Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 AM  
cibula11

Default Deck Board Gap

I know it is recent practice to butt 5/4 x6 PT decking as close as you can and then as it dries it creates a small space. My question, is that I got the lumber from Menards. It looks fine, but I know they sometimes let there lumber sit around. How can I be sure that my lumber is wet? I want to start laying the decking today, but I am concerned that if I put a space between the boards it will look awful in the future. But, if the boards are already dry, then I will never get a gap. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Cibula:
Run a power saw through a board and see if the sawdust has any moisture in it. If the lumber is dry and is installed tightly, it may want to buck up. You could use a 16d nail for a spacer between boards to prevent the boards from bucking and, even if it did shrink some, it wold not be more than a 1/4" crack.
Glenn

Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM  
cibula11

I'll try that. My guess is that the lumber has been sitting around at the lumber yard for a few months. It is definately not "wet".

Old 06-24-2007, 12:26 PM  
Rustedbird

Good call. We used to use 16d nails as spacers. Good indicator of moisture is also weight. Some species of wood will shrink more then others, Loblolly Pine coming readily to mind.

Last edited by Rustedbird; 06-24-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: d, not p

Quick Reply