DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling along bathtub

Old 10-26-2005, 05:27 AM  
jwstockwell

Default Tiling along bathtub

I've removed tile and repaired the wall (sheetrock) along the outside of a tub, from just above the top of the tub to the floor There's a 3-1/2 " wide border of tile to reinstall. They all came off ok and cleaned up nicely.

Since there is some backing behind the tile on top of the tub, I need to taper the reinstalled tiles back into the wall. It looked as if this was just done originally with 'extra' adhesive - there were some pretty thick portions that I took off.

Is that the way to do it or should I taper what's in back of the tile - via building up with all-purpose sheetrock mud (or some other like product)? Need a 1/4 to 3/8 inch or so on the tub side - not counting whatever space the adhesive will need.

Of course the reason for the repair was this is on the end with the shower head and faucet - wallboard got wet and failed. Oh well, 25 year old houses do need attention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 07:02 PM  
FirTrader

You can successfully "float" tiles on a thicker bed of mastic if you need too... or you could try the kerdi-cloth from schluter, with thinset cement, and put a bit more cement in certain places. Then you tile on top of the cloth (which is waterproof - a very slick system).

It's easier to actually rip everything off and start fresh with new aquaboard or cement board behind...

Old 10-28-2005, 05:10 PM  
jwstockwell

Thanks firtrader - Makes sense to me I'll take it out and build up in back of the sheet rock. I'm pretty confident I'll get a good seal and not have to worry about using the cement or green board. Took 25 years for the first try to fail.

Quick Reply