DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Updating 100 amp box to 200 with pass through

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2007, 02:15 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Default Updating 100 amp box to 200 with pass through

Hi, When we planned a new home we put the well (1993) in first. From the utility step down transformer to the service panel power company ran a 200 amp line ( 3/0 copper, underground) to a metered service panel. Unfortunately, the service panel installed was a Square D 100 amp unit instead of a 200 amp box. Now that we are finally building the house we need to continue from existing panel up to house. Questions are as follows:

1. Using the same box, can I simply replace 100 amp breaker with a 200 amp breaker?
2. Using a dummy breaker, built like a buss bar, with lugs that will accommodate 3/0 copper cable, continue on to house (underground) from well panel? House will have a 200 amp panel with no meter base in garage.
3. If I have to replace with a whole new 200 amp service panel at well what kind of panel (name) would allow me to feed well and also allow for a pass through 200 amps line to house?

I hope all of this makes sense,

keoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 PM  
Square Eye
Senior Member
Square Eye's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,273
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


You can not change the main rating of the panel legally.
You need to talk to your local supplier of electrical parts to see if they can provide you with a 2 wire adapter/splitter for the main lugs. With the adapters, you can lug the main incoming line and the line out to the house together at the main breaker. (may not work with every panel, but there are other connectors available that might work better.)
You could replace the Well panel with a main lug panel (unfused), but you will still have the same problem, no outlets.
Square Eye is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Updating look of recessed fluorescent fixtures? TaskBoy Electrical and Wiring 3 06-06-2008 02:06 AM