Painting panelling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are getting ready to start remodeling our house and I have several questions for ya'll. First...I know this topic has been covered, but we can't decide whether to paint the paneling in our living room, or cover it with drywall....The room has vaulted ceiling so either choice is going to be difficult...Can someone post pictures again? Just can't visualize it.

This room is very dark, with only the back door offering any natural light..and not much at that....any ideas on adding windows? or skylight? Or am I biting off more than my husband can chew? :p

Also, I want to change the brick fireplace....really boring ugly brick...and have no idea of options available.

Thanks for any and all help! :)

Hi all,

We are getting ready to start remodeling our house and I have several questions for ya'll. First...I know this topic has been covered, but we can't decide whether to paint the paneling in our living room, or cover it with drywall....The room has vaulted ceiling so either choice is going to be difficult...Can someone post pictures again? Just can't visualize it.
I am not a paneling person but have done some and looks okay but if your thinking of putting windows in then I would definetly opt for drywall since you will be tearing apart some of the walls to do this anyway. I am sure someone here will post some pics of Painted paneling.

This room is very dark, with only the back door offering any natural light..and not much at that....any ideas on adding windows? or skylight? Or am I biting off more than my husband can chew? :p It realy depends on your Husbands DIY skills, windows are not all that hard to do and we could certainly walk him through but if you run out and get a book on this this will help you a lot on understanding how this goes and we here are always around to help.

Also, I want to change the brick fireplace....really boring ugly brick...and have no idea of options available. Lots of people paint there not so good looking brickwork inside the house the trick is to give it a good cleaning then prime with a good oil based primer and then 2 top coats of a low luster latex paint. I use only Benmoore paints but Sherman Williams is also a good brand and they will tell you exactly what materials to use but go to a accrual paint store, not a home center. You can also cover the bricks by strapping the bricks and drywalling but this is a whole new topic.

Thanks for any and all help! :)
This can be a lot of fun so don't be discouraged

Latest posts

Back