Gas Pump Display

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man that is so awesome. I love it. I keep looking for old gas pumps like that to restore for my shop but so far haven't found any for what I want to spend, (which is not very much lol.) but that looks great.:thumbsup:

only thing is you need to post some better pictures I can barely see it lol.

mustanggarage: Thanks for the kind words. There is a guy here that has many pumps is different conditions. I gave $300 for the pump. Sold off what I didn't use so nothing was wasted.
Here is a larger pic.
BEFORE_AFTER.jpg

Cheers!
Mickm

That is a great idea for an old pump. Thanks for sharing!

I really like that. that is an awesome idea. I started checking craigslist the other day looking for pumps. I probably won't ever do it but you never know. I do think that something like that would look pretty cool in my garage.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Cheers!
Mickm

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm, Can you show us any pictures you took in progress. You must have a talent for paint and body?
Is there a light inside the pump?

This is cool;)

Thomask asked:"Can you show us any pictures you took in progress"

Sure thing Thomask. Here are some shots of the build process. It was really pretty easy.
Yes, there are two lights. One on the top that illunates the globe and a small led light that gives light to the cabinet inside. It came from Lowe's and fit's perfectly.
100_1329.jpg

Here is the pump as it's being disassembled. Warning!!! don't use a torch to cut anything, there may be old gas in the lines.
DSCN5893.jpg

This is the frame work from the pump that will be reused.
DSCN5886.jpg

I made new front and rear panels. The front has the opening (with glass recessions) and the back had nothing but a hole at the bottom for the electrical cord to pass thru.
DSCN5891.jpg

The framework was coverering with red oak panels that were inlaid with the shelving tracks. Four of these were made.
100_1337.jpg

The inside was lined with 1/8" red oak plywood, then stained.
Everything is held together with hidden bolts. A red oak floor will be added at the end.
DSCN5921.jpg

The reassembly has started after all the body work is done and everything is painted. The side go on first.
Notice the light at the top for the globe.
DSCN5918.jpg

This is a shot of the top light.
DSCN5919.jpg

This is the LED for the cabinet.
DSCN5933.jpg

Glass door was cut and mounted using shower door hinges. A magnet latch was used to keep the door in position. I added a decal at the bottom and some pin striping from the local auto parts store.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for the interest.

Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm,

One of the BEST POSTS I have seen on here.

Thanks a million for the pics of the build process. I would love to have one of these in my garage or even in my office to hold my collection of model cars.

I see by your last picture you are a busy guy that is very organized with projects listed on your white board.

It is tough out there to find these old pumps to restore. Could you actually build one ( the box) from scratch and just buy the parts? Maybe an old steel locker could be used and add light on top. Any ideas?

thomask,
Thanks so much for the kind words. They are much appreciated.
Since I finished the cabinet, I've had so many people come by my shop just to see it.
You can buy a fiberglass version that is the same pump but I did not want a fiberglass replica, plus it doesn't have the wood walls inside and they cost upwards of $2500!

I would think you could make something similar from just about anything. I am fortunate, there is a guy near me that has probably 100 old pumps. I picked this one up for $250. Total cost of everything to build the cabinet was around $800. I sold the front door and all the pumps, motor etc from inside so I have less than that in it.

Thanks again,
Mickm

That is awesome looking, I have been given a pump similar to that just haven't picked it up yet. I want to just restore mine to original and let it stand in the corner.

My cousin has about a dozen of them, all in need of clean up. I wonder if he would like to part with one?

That pump is sweet, would make a great addition to the basement.

What a nice idea, and wonderfully executed work.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the display pump. I am have really gotten a lot of positive comments from all who have been by my shop and seen it in person. The only difference is now it is full of models.

Chris, I too like the pumps just restored. Remember, there is no need to re-add the pump or motor or any of the heavy stuff in the bottom.
Here is a pic of my Martin Swartz pump.
IMG_0363.jpg

With many of these old pumps, you could simply cut out the front and add glass,the use the original hinges as the front and back face opens and closes. Just an idea.

cheers!
Mickm

They are just awesome, loving that Air pump to.

Back