Diy kitchen remodel - relocating dishwasher help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriSmi75

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm remodeling my kitchen and need some help with relocating my dishwasher and running the water and drain lines. The previous owner ran the water line under the floor (you'll see the line that was cut where the valve was for that) and the drain back through the floor. I'm moving the dishwasher to the opposite wall and need to know what I need/how to reroute this plumbing to correctly tie into the sink. The attached photo is of the lines as they are right now - I am pulling down the paneling and opening up the walls.

IMG_5672.jpg

Last edited:
I normally like to see the dishwasher next to the sink, right or left.

Makes the drain connection much easier as it can share the one with the sink.

You will have to provide a new drain line where you move it to along with water supply and power.

Most people like to rinse dishes and put them directly in the machine.

It will be, just not DIRECTLY beside it because it’s a U shape kitchen, and the sink sits in the middle of a 110” wall. There will be 60” sink base, blind corner cabinets on either side of that, then the dishwasher is the next thing to the right of the sink. I just don’t know what to run from the current pipes

To Bud's point, you rinse the dishes and walk 6' to the DW?How convenient.

At that distance a dirty arm is impractical, so you'll need to route the drain water and power under the floor, be that a basement or crawl space and either open the wall for the vent, or use a studor vent.

My kitchen in our previous house was set up like that. U-shape with the D/W perpendicular to the sink. As I recall when I replaced it, the hoses reached or I may have had to get an extension. We moved out of that house 19 years ago and I replaced the D/W a couple of years before that.

To Bud's point, you rinse the dishes and walk 6' to the DW?How convenient.

At that distance a dirty arm is impractical, so you'll need to route the drain water and power under the floor, be that a basement or crawl space and either open the wall for the vent, or use a studor vent.

No, you don’t walk at all. It’s would be to your right if you are standing at the sink. It’s just not directly next to it - it’s on a perpendicular wall the other side of a blind base cabinet

Latest posts

Back