Trane XR 80 blower motor issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancerdad34

Reaction score
I am having issues with my blower motor. I noticed a burnt wire smell a couple of days ago and then it went away. This morning I noticed the same thing and even though my thermostat said system on the blower motor was not. I tapped the side of the panel near the blower and it kicked on for a minute then went out. I turned it of at the switch on the furnace and waited 5 minutes. The turned on the fan switch at the furnace and it kicked on and is running now. My question is while I am waiting to hear back from my tech is this a start stop issue and should I just leave the fan on until someone comes out? Also is it safe to run the furnace with access panels off? I have the safety switch taped down.

Thanks,
Brian in freezing MI

Have you tried rotating the blower wheel by hand? It should rotate easily without any noise. If it doesn't, it is likely the bearings. Also try to move the cage on its shaft, to feel for "slop". That is another check for bad bearings.

It could also be the run capacitor. Not an expensive part, but you likely don't have the required type of electrical meter to measure farads so you can test it.

I would suggest going to www.grayfurnaceman.com and watching his videos. He is an EXCELLENT source of information for DIY guys like myself.

The blower motor is running fine now been running for about an hour and a half I think you're right about the start capacitor. Thanks for the reply!

I picked up a new capacitor from Grainger for $5.00. Put it in this AM and so far so good. The blower starts right up and no more burnt wire smell. I guess I will no for sure after a few more heating cycles.

Thanks,
Brian

I had a similar issue last year and for what its worth there is a safety switch that wworks by air pressure off the exhaust fan side. The fan comes on and the air pressure closes a switch at the end of a tube. Once that switch is made the unit knows the exhaust is working and as long as that switch stays closed it will run. Without it everything will kick on and run for a minute only. The way they check them is tapping on it and it will open and run. A

Not saying this is your problem but yours could have been stuck and when you tapped it dislodged and is now working until it sticks again.

Just a thought and good luck.

Since installing the new cap on the blower motor it has been running great.

Thanks,
Brian

Latest posts

Back