Powder room upgrade plan, DIY with pics

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danie

Reaction score
26846270_14.jpg

0278e4a14f84abea7cacfdd51cca58b4.jpg

This is what I am starting with and the inspiration for the change with some variations Room is 6 feet long and 30 inch wode, on picture it is compressed by the lens.

I have already removed the cabinetry and toilet, patched and sanded the walls, a friend helped me and installed a new vent fan and a LED pocket light above the toilet to eventually light up the shelves I planned there.I also made a between the studs shelf off the side of the future sink shelf and another nook for the toilet paper. Coming up is a recessed fan heater and the wood working for the two shelves.

I bought a funky sink from Ikea and a fancy faucet, imagine that, I am feeling good about faucetry no, is that even a word!

I am debating the flooring, there is some tile there and I dofeel like just laying some click vinyl on top, or maybe retile, not certain.

Definitely up for any suggesions, and new ideas but only before it's done ha!

Last edited:
If you can afford vinyl plank, it might be worth it. But make sure you get the kind that is plastic all the way through and does not have cork or mdf. With tile you can have problems with the grout allowing moisture in. Also, vinyl feels warmer than tile (unless you get heated underlay).

For the vanity, have you considered a hidden toekick storage drawer?

I like that you have between-the-studs storage.

Do you have any pictures of what it currently looks like? I'd love to see them.

20180131_231004.jpg

20180131_231124.jpg

20180131_231136.jpg

20180131_231053.jpg

20180131_231015.jpg

20180131_231434.jpg

20180131_231028.jpg

Door will be changed, I am debating between a simple shaker frame pre hung and primed and a multi panel one that everyone does these days. I may want to make a mock waisncotting in the entrance and sometimes less ismore, so I may stick to a plain large square flat frame on a regular slab door.

I also have a movement detector light in there ;-)

I barely figured how to post them haha now resizing... ill try the 4x8 view :)

View attachment 18682

View attachment 18683

View attachment 18684

View attachment 18685

View attachment 18686

View attachment 18687

View attachment 18688

Door will be changed, I am debating between a simple shaker frame pre hung and primed and a multi panel one that everyone does these days. I may want to make a mock waisncotting in the entrance and sometimes less ismore, so I may stick to a plain large square flat frame on a regular slab door.

I also have a movement detector light in there ;-)

Fun, so far.

In photo #3 where will the romex coming out of the base of the wall terminate?

Had you planned to change the angle stops to 1/4 turn and the trap to slip joint, instead of compression?

Have you used motion detectors switches before, because mascara squiggled down a cheek is frustrating.

The multi-panel doors can be ordered, or self altered, to have the panels on one side and slab on the other, as an architectural element.

1- Googled Romex, haha learning a new language as well as repairs..

My original plan was to have a classic baseboard heater under the lowest shelf of the new sink set up. It would not be seen easily and would heat the feet which would be nicer than the original set up with the baseboard next to the ankles of the toilet user :-()
Then I worried that this would mean a baseboard under the sink....maybe not good idea ? although not certain but my gut feeling is not great haha
So now I am thinking of a between the studs heating fan.

2- Had you planned to change the angle stops to 1/4 turn and the trap to slip joint, instead of compression? So sorry but my repair language skills have got to this level and this reads like a profound Ikea instructable that Ij ust don't get....can you please rephrase for me ...

3- It ismy first time with a movement detector light, indeedI can imagine my guests will be scratching their heads when the light suddenly goes out mid-stream lol but then scratching their head will solve the problem...I can totally see a drinking game coming out ofthis set up, maybe I should write the rules of it in glow in the dark paint in there hahaha

4- Can you show me an example of the variant door thatmust be nice. Although the area is annoying with 3 doors in a 9 sq foot space. Entrance, powder room and a bifold for the closet.

Thanks for commenting

1- Googled Romex, haha learning a new language as well as repairs..

Good deal, give you a heads up to the language of the trades.

My original plan was to have a classic baseboard heater under the lowest shelf of the new sink set up. It would not be seen easily and would heat the feet which would be nicer than the original set up with the baseboard next to the ankles of the toilet user :-()
Then I worried that this would mean a baseboard under the sink....maybe not good idea ? although not certain but my gut feeling is not great haha
So now I am thinking of a between the studs heating fan.

It would also be a good Idea to power it from a GFCI/AFCI breaker.

2- Had you planned to change the angle stops to 1/4 turn and the trap to slip joint, instead of compression? So sorry but my repair language skills have got to this level and this reads like a profound Ikea instructable that Ij ust don't get....can you please rephrase for me ...

Ikea is frankly, beneath my dignity but here is a link to a variety of 1/4 turn, ball valve angle stops. Your appear to be compression and may only need to be changed out, keeping in mind the method you are using to connect to the new faucet; https://www.brasscraft.com/products/water-supplies/water-stops/14-turn-stops/, the specific benefit is the ball valve and it's longevity.

Here is and example of the 2 most popular slip joint traps, (I use in my practice);
https://www.keeneymfg.com/installation_instructions/772-en-PP66-1B They are also available in ABS, which is black in color.

3- It ismy first time with a movement detector light, indeedI can imagine my guests will be scratching their heads when the light suddenly goes out mid-stream lol but then scratching their head will solve the problem...I can totally see a drinking game coming out ofthis set up, maybe I should write the rules of it in glow in the dark paint in there hahaha

Or an automatic "fooled you" announcement.

4- Can you show me an example of the variant door thatmust be nice. Although the area is annoying with 3 doors in a 9 sq foot space. Entrance, powder room and a bifold for the closet.

That I do not have, just past experience.

Anxiety level just amped. haha. I am so out of my depth it'S not even funny!

Ok todays I shall: sand, prime ceiling walls and the plywood inserts for the between studs storage areas. then I will attack all these one by one ha !

Angle stop valve = a shut off valve that goes at an angle instead of straight.
Ball valve = a one-way valve that is opened and closed by pressure on a ball that fits into a cup-shaped opening.

You might want to see the glossary of plumbing terms on the plumbing forum that is a sister forum to this one.

What is your budget for the bathroom? Have you considered in-floor heating? Or having a vent/fan light in the ceiling that has a heater? My bathrooms all had Broan vent-a-lite heaters. Required 3 switches. They finally died after like 40 years, but when they worked, they kept the bathroom nice and warm. But, you should probably read up on heating options for bathrooms before you make a final decision. Houzz sometimes has some interesting ideas.

I wanted to keep it low budget. So I am not adding floor heating but was considering the use of a recessed fan in wall. The ceiling is pretty used up by now with a humidity vent fan, a led can and the light socket in the mirror area.

The most cost efficient was the standard baseboard but like mentioned under sink it's iffy...lol

I wanted to keep it low budget. So I am not adding floor heating but was considering the use of a recessed fan in wall. The ceiling is pretty used up by now with a humidity vent fan, a led can and the light socket in the mirror area.

The most cost efficient was the standard baseboard but like mentioned under sink it's iffy...lol

What are your concerns with having it under the sink? Something catching fire? Not pushing the heat far enough?
Maybe you could bump it forward under the vanity so it is not against the wall and is closer to feet (but not too close)?

Do you still have a vent/fan in the bathroom to help get rid of the moisture?

Ah yes I do have a good strong new fan vent. I was Warford putting an electric under a sink was not a good idea. But then again there will be shelves above etc

Latest posts

Back