Best way to close this gap?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Between granite countertop and wall due to walls not being square. Caulk? Regular painters caulk or something better?

The gap is about 3/8" at it's widest.

0211181315a.jpg

XCamera-20180211_131626.jpg

...or scribe the drywall and cut it back where needed.

So you're telling me to put a piece of wood in the hole? What do I use to fasten/anchor it in?

And what type of wood am I buying here? That looked like a baseboard in that video, but would that work in my case?

Use the wood to make a template or a guide to transfer the wall shape to the countertop, then trim the contertop to fit the wall.
However, that probably won't work in this case, because then you'd have a gap by the stove. The scribing should have been done before the countertop was cut to length. At this point I would do the backsplash to cover the gap.

Good idea to have something to protect the wall in the area anyway.

Last edited:
Like others have suggested the back-splash should do a good job of hiding the gap.

Use the wood to make a template or a guide to transfer the wall shape to the countertop, then trim the contertop to fit the wall.
However, that probably won't work in this case, because then you'd have a gap by the stove. The scribing should have been done before the countertop was cut to length. At this point I would do the backsplash to cover the gap.

Good idea to have something to protect the wall in the area anyway.

Wouldn't trimming the countertop just give me a bigger gap? Also, I can't trim granite.

I don't know the definition of scribing. Can I fill this gap with some wood?

I didn't plan on having backsplash on the left wall, just the back.

Might be worth a re-consider at this point. Anything you put in the gap will show it's age in time. A ceramic or matching granite backsplash would be a one time and it's done solution. Also, at some point, something will get spilled on the counter. Having a backsplash will be a nice barrier when that happens.

Last edited:
Might be worth a re-consider at this point. Anything you put in the gap will show it's age in time. A ceramic or matching granite backsplash would be a one time and it's done solution. Also, at some point, something will get spilled on the counter. Having a backsplash will be a nice barrier when that happens.

I already have this glass tile I'm putting everywhere else. I suppose I could add it to the left wall also.

0123181412.jpg

Back