Flipping houses in NC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomorr

Reaction score
Taking my first step into doing some investment properties in NC and picked up a place for 9000 cash. Needs a ton of work but has a great potential to make a decent return.
Does anyone know if I need to hire a GC to pull my permits? I keep reading different things and if I pull the permits myself as the homeowner, I need to live in the place for 12 months. But the law is very vague about renovations by investment companies and if they need to hold a contractors license. I plan to do a lot of the work myself minus the major stuff like electrical, plumbing etc. Just wondering of anyone has any insight on this in NC?

Thanks in advance!

Always best to go to the source. Not only do zoning laws vary from place to place, but inspectors sometimes have their own take on those laws.

My best advice I could give you is go to the city and ask them directly. Do not be afraid to ask them questions. Remember, they put their shoes on one at a time, just like us!

Sorry Gary, ya beat me by one minute!

Sorry Gary, ya beat me by one minute!

lol
When I built our house, many times I would go to city hall and ask what the inspectors would be looking for, for plumbing, electrical, framing, etc. It made the inspections process go very smooth, because we had that history and they knew, that I knew, exactly what they expected. Never had one red flag.

In my NC town/city (Cary near Raleigh) I can pull permits to do work on my own home for plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc. I can't pull a permit for someone else's home. In neighboring Durham County a homeowner can't pull an electrical permit and possibly a plumbing permit but they can pull a permit to build something like a deck or screened porch. So the answer is it depends. I'm not sure what the requirements would be in your specific jurisdiction as a flipper. You own the house while you're doing the flip.

Thanks everyone, I found a number to call the permit office for that county so we will see what they say!

Just in case anyone wanted the followup, I contacted the Mecklenburg county permit office and this is what they told me:
As the owner I can act as the general contractor without a license as long as the total repairs do not exceed $30,000. If I do this, I can do all the subcontracting to all the trades myself and pull the blanket building permit. All trades will have to call and set up inspections off of my blanket permit(for some reason I cannot set up inspections for the trades) . If the TOTAL (and he stressed TOTAL to me a few times) renovations exceed $30,000 I will need to hire a GC to pull the blanket permit for me and do all the subcontracting for all the trades.
With this law it will allow me to be able to avoid the 12 month required homeowners law and I can sell immediately when finished.

He also added each county has their own fair market values on what repairs cost so you can't lowball the costs on your permit just to make it hit under $30,000.

This is what the general contractor board has deemed for the entire state of NC.

All in all you guys had it right, just contact your local permitting office and they usually will explain what the law is.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back