no transition lamonate install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danie

Reaction score
Question, I am doing a laminate in a bedroom. The planks will run through the doorway and into the hallway lenghtwise. Is there any way to actually do the room only and then continue into the hallwway and adjacent rooms without adding a transition of course.

This would allow me to finish that one room and move furniture there and go onto the next projects before doing the whole floor.

I did 4 interconnected areas years ago with Laminate back in the days when you glued it together. was about 600 sq ft in all. The supplier suggested transition strips and told me even his pros wouldn’t try doing it as one. Being pig headed I did it my way and it turned out great. He came out to see it and then offered me a job. I told him once was enough.

In your case you normally start on one side and work your way across coming out of the doorway and into a hall you would then need to go both directions. That can be done and you would have to protect the edges from damage till you got to the rest of it. The rooms I did above had all the furniture in them as I worked I moved it around. Including a baby grand piano. That was a little tricky.

If you could post a floor plan we could give you a plan of action.

Manufacturers won't warrant a floor that is laid outside of their specifications. So most installers won't want to do it either because they will be on the hook if the project has a problem. If you are doing it yourself, you may want to take the chance. But read what the instructions say and stick close to that if you can.

here is my floor plan and project pictures. My questions are

1- my downstairs is on concrete, there is tile and parquet still in place but i had already removed tiles on advice of home depot, and retiled the powder room so it will sit lower in there after laminate...also i went ahead and removed part of the parquet floor on advice of the home depot, later found out it was worse than leaving parquet there so have to patch up 50 sf approx
2- there is a stairs and banister, how to edge, banister must be replaced any ideas on the low cost side^
3- nose of stairs and trim along the stair well, how to treat that area
4-where to start project
5-under kitchen cabinets (I need to have cabinet floors same heinght so appliances are notsunk in
6-can't remove all furniture as I live here what can I do about a few heavier items (buffet, bed, sofa)
7- my downstairs bathroom floor was retiled after removal of previous tiles as I had planned to remove all flooring

You do know parquet will be back in style next year. If you are using those scrapers, there are better tools.

i wish I had kept the parquet but it'S too late. I gave up removing it andnow will install over it. way too much work !

Latest posts

Back