Water Well Casing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smythers00

Reaction score
Bought a house a couple of years ago (Ontario, Canada) and our well needs to be upgraded. We replaced our pump a year ago - lightning took it out just after we moved in. We're taking a long look at replacing the pressure and treatment system, but we noticed that the existing casing doesn't go down far enough.

The depth of the well is 130 feet. The casing needs to be extended by about 18" above grade. But I'm wondering if I could just put an ABS casing inside the original steel casing.

The legislation allows for a double walled casing, and the minimum inside diameter needs to be 4 inches. I can accomplish that, but what I want to know is are there any issues with doing that?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
I would think you could do that but not sure why you would want to if the casing that’s in there is ok. Are you getting ground water into the well?

Think about the weight of 130’ of casing that needs supported and if there is a space between the two ground water may still find its way down.

Extending and sealing seems more logical to me.

The purpose of the casing being above grade is to prevent ground water infiltration. If you were to place a second casing inside the existing one you would still need some sort seal at the top of the old casing to prevent the ground water entering.

Latest posts

Back