Seeding my lawn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
Right now, my "lawn" is covered in ice and snow, and the frost is in the ground.

It is dirt. I have bags of grass seed to spread. How long should I wait to spread it?
How long till I should cut it?
How often should I water it before that first cut?
How high should that first cut be?

Here we overseed in the fall to allow the grass to get established in cooler weather. If we seed in the spring it usually burns out in the first hot day of the year.

In snow country it will lay dormant until it is warm enough to sprout, so you could technically spread it on top of the snow, but I wouldn't recommend it. It won't hurt if the snow melts off and you spread the seed and it got snowed on.

Seeding in February is sometimes called "frost seeding" because the theory goes that the ground freezes and thaws forming cracks for the seed to fall into. But you will still have time to seed after the snow melts.
The real trick is to decide whether to use a crabgrass preventer or to seed. You can't do both because the crabgrass preventer will also prevent grass seed from growing. That's one reason why they recommend seeding in the fall and fertilizing with a crabgrass preventer (Halts) in the spring.

Seeding in February is sometimes called "frost seeding" because the theory goes that the ground freezes and thaws forming cracks for the seed to fall into. But you will still have time to seed after the snow melts.
The real trick is to decide whether to use a crabgrass preventer or to seed. You can't do both because the crabgrass preventer will also prevent grass seed from growing. That's one reason why they recommend seeding in the fall and fertilizing with a crabgrass preventer (Halts) in the spring.

I yanked out lots of weeds last year. I am not adverse to do it again this year. It isn't that much, maybe 40'x40'.

Okay, so my point is don't try to use Halts this spring. Seed and fill in the holes with topsoil after you pull the weeds. Take two Aleve and call me in the morning.

Back