Rats in trailer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Have a tenant who hears rats in his bathroom walls. I put 2 glue traps. One underneath the bathroom cabinet, one fairly close to that.

Exterminator told me $400 minimum for their rodent fee. What are my options here? I set them yesterday. I'm not sure how to go after something in a wall other than to rely on it coming out of the wall to get to the trap.

Update: I placed one of the glue traps yesterday next to the water heater. Today, it's gone. I'm assuming this means that a rat ate the poison and ran off still glued to the trap. So I should expect a dead rat somewhere in that area?

The trap was on the piece of wood.

0222181744.jpg

Pay the exterminator, there are some things like rodents and asbestos that are better handled by professionals. At this point the liability for not taking care of it is way out of proportion to the cost of just getting it taken care of.

I agree call the exterminator who knows what is in the wall. it might have taken it back into wall to die. then you have 1horrid smell to deal with.

I agree call the exterminator who knows what is in the wall. it might have taken it back into wall to die. then you have 1horrid smell to deal with.

I've had that happen before. But at least it's a dead smell.

I think I found some holes underneath the trailer. The floor is metal sheet, I think. What should I use to seal the holes/rips in the metal?

0212181539_HDR.jpg

Glue traps are not poison. The rat gets stuck to the glue and dies a slow death. If your trap got carried off, it may have been too small for what it caught, or a predator may have taken it for a meal.

Glue traps are not poison. The rat gets stuck to the glue and dies a slow death. If your trap got carried off, it may have been too small for what it caught, or a predator may have taken it for a meal.

They have poison that you sprinkle on them.

At least, I'm assuming it's poison and not just food.

You know what happens when you assume: you make an "***" out of "u" and "me". (old joke but worth repeating for the young'uns)
So, is the problem solved?

You know what happens when you assume: you make an "***" out of "u" and "me". (old joke but worth repeating for the young'uns)
So, is the problem solved?

I haven't heard him complain in over a week. I ended calling an exterminator to put traps and other kind of poison both inside and out.

I ended up having to put poison in walls and other spaces because the traps weren't being tripped.

Now he smells a dead rat. I checked all the traps and easily accessible hidden spaces and can't find the rat.

Is there an easy way to find this rat without randomly guessing what walls to cut into? A lot of the walls have insulation so am I correct in assuming it couldn't be in those walls?

As far as I know rats will go into insulation walls I know mice will. how to find it your guess is as good as mine . just use your nose:)

How did this end? Did you ever find the smell? How did you find it? It would be good to know if you found any god tricks for finding the odor.

In the past when we’ve had a rodent die in our wall we’ve found the smell disappeared in about a couple of weeks if I recall correctly.

Latest posts

Back