Water service entry pipe through basement wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patmat2350

Reaction score
OK, code requires a "sleeve" around any pipe passing through a concrete basement wall... the gap between pipe and sleeve is to be packed with something flexible to allow for relative movement.

So two questions:
1. WHERE was the inspector when my builder passed the copper pipe right through a drilled hole in my basement wall, with no sleeve or packing?

2. And what do I do now? The hydraulic cement patch I tried doesn't hold- the pipe will always move and break loose. After a good rain, I'll get a few gallons of water on the basement floor.

I might just chip out the concrete a bit around the pipe, to allow for a thicker packing of caulk... but I wonder if there are any nifty commercial solutions or other tricks for this situation? I certainly don't want to start trenching on the outside...

waterentrance.jpg

OK, code requires a "sleeve" around any pipe passing through a concrete basement wall... the gap between pipe and sleeve is to be packed with something flexible to allow for relative movement.

So two questions:
1. WHERE was the inspector when my builder passed the copper pipe right through a drilled hole in my basement wall, with no sleeve or packing?

2. And what do I do now? The hydraulic cement patch I tried doesn't hold- the pipe will always move and break loose. After a good rain, I'll get a few gallons of water on the basement floor.

I might just chip out the concrete a bit around the pipe, to allow for a thicker packing of caulk... but I wonder if there are any nifty commercial solutions or other tricks for this situation? I certainly don't want to start trenching on the outside...

A sleeve may not have been a requirement, then.

Use an elastomeric caulking like Polyseamseal or a urethane.

Reactions: K_M
Current codes don't apply to things done prior.
I like urethane caulking.
I have had excellent results with Vulkem urethane sealants.

Vulkem and Chem-Calk are often used in storefronts and are a premium commercial grade product.

Thanks!

Sleeving has been required since forever. But I did find an example in a local code that allows no sleeve, if boring a hole in an existing wall... but the pipe still has to be free to move longtitudinally, yet sealing is still needed. So, something elastomeric as above, but NOT hydraulic cement.

Latest posts

Back