DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How-to build a tub surround?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:01 PM  
don_the_amateur

Default How-to build a tub surround?

I am having a new tub installed but need to first build an elevated area around it.

Since there will be water around it what material should I use?

There will be tile on top of it so could I just use plywood or what building material should I use for the surface and walls?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 10:50 AM  
HandyMac
Mac

Treated ply topped with backer board---the cement/fiber substrate material----will withstand the water best---if any gets past the tile---which should be sealed, BTW.

The walls should be backer board. Then tile/whatever.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 PM  
crapbathroom

backerboard is NOT the best, cement is porus remember! you have to seal it before you put your tile on it, we are using a product called denseshield which is wonderful, it's very much like drywall and so it's easy to handle and cut, but it withstands water much better than cement backerboard.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would have to go with one of the cementious products. There job is not to be waterproof, but to not break down if they do become damp. A water proof membrane can, and should be added for 100% water proofing in areas subject to water.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][B]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 PM  
TileGuy

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbathroom View Post
backerboard is NOT the best, cement is porus remember! you have to seal it before you put your tile on it, we are using a product called denseshield which is wonderful, it's very much like drywall and so it's easy to handle and cut, but it withstands water much better than cement backerboard.
Dense Shield is about the most unsafe CBU to use. 1/4 or 1/2 inch Hardie Backer or Durock is the way to go, water proof it for good measure.
Dense Shield, made like drywall, falls apart like drywall if it gets wet, and it will eventually get wet. Dense Shield is the "new" green board.

Sorry but cement boad is 100% the way to go and waterproofing is always a good idea no matter what. Dense Shield has a major rep for failures. When you nail or screw Densield you cant sink the head, you cant have tears of any size and the best part is having to skim coat over the nail heads with "cement". Any water behind the membrane will cause it to fall apart.... did they say use cement to cover the nail holes? Cement is pourous right?

I dont mean to be harsh but saying it will withstand water issues better then cement type backer boards is 100% not true. Its quite the opposite.

Last edited by TileGuy; 04-11-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: ...

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TileGuy View Post
Dense Shield is about the most unsafe CBU to use. 1/4 or 1/2 inch Hardie Backer or Durock is the way to go, water proof it for good measure.
Dense Shield, made like drywall, falls apart like drywall if it gets wet, and it will eventually get wet. Dense Shield is the "new" green board.

Sorry but cement boad is 100% the way to go and waterproofing is always a good idea no matter what. Dense Shield has a major rep for failures. When you nail or screw Densield you cant sink the head, you cant have tears of any size and the best part is having to skim coat over the nail heads with "cement". Any water behind the membrane will cause it to fall apart.... did they say use cement to cover the nail holes? Cement is pourous right?

I dont mean to be harsh but saying it will withstand water issues better then cement type backer boards is 100% not true. Its quite the opposite.
I would have to agree 100%, I have torn apart showers with this stuff and it's really not the way to go.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM  
rohde_d

Default backer board waterproofing

Can you tell me what you are using to waterproof the cement board? I am installing walk in shower in my house and it has green board on the walls now. I am assuming I can put the cement board on top of this, seal it and them put the tile over that?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM  
KirkG

I am having a hard time understanding the comments made here. I have put a piece of Denshield in a glass of water and it never got mushy or fell apart. I am not a fan of covering the seams or nails with silicone or thinset, so I use Kerdi Band, KerdiFix mostly to insure nothing gets behind.

You can now use Kerdi Board for the platform, or plywood, covered with drywall and then apply Kerdi membrane. You can also cover the plywood with cement board, set in thinset and then Kerdi membrane.

There are many ways to do this job properly.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM  
granite-girl

I know the kerdi products work well & waterproofing everything before tile is a must

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 11-26-2010, 01:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 926 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

Build stud walls out of 2x6 with top and bottom plates cover the top and front with 5/8plywood, use the kirdi. don't forget the fiberglass under the tub, keeps water warm

Quick Reply