porch repair help?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catart58

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to find comprehensive instructions on how to repair a porch. Deck and columns are in need of repair. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Cathy: confused:

Welcome Cathy:
I take it you have a wood porch, deck and columns. Use 2 X 6s to prop up the roof of the porch. Set them on a wood block of some kind to keep them from sinking in the ground and use a pinch bar to shove them in at the bottom, relieving the pressure on the columns. Take the columns and the porch floor out, inspect the framing under the porch for possible replacement, replace the floor (maybe with plastic boards, no composites). Check the columns, they usually begin to rot at the bottom, can you cut an equal amount off each one and replace that part with treated wood blocks, the first one on the floor being 2 to 3 inches larger than the column all the way around, then a smaller one, and a smaller one. Use some 3/4" cove mould to dress the blocks up. Now do the same to the deck, or maybe you just need to replace a board or two.
Glenn

Glenn,
We have torn apart the whole porch now and everything appears to need replacing. Our old floor joists are very long, 20', and no one seems to make this length now. We were told to use two 10' joists but are unsure of how to install. Believe me we would be paying someone to do this for us if we could afford it.
Really, the whole frame seems to be rotted,so the end pieces need to be replaced as well.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks, Cathy

Hello Cathy:
In order to use the 10' joists in place of the 20' ones, you will need to place a beam in the middle and allow te 10' ones to come to each side of it. I'm hoping the joists are running the long way of the porch and it may be 12' to 12' the other way. If that is the case you can use 2 x 10 ends and center beam (use two 2 X 10s for the beam), then you can use 2 X 8 joists which will save you some money. Use metal joist hangers on the ends and center beam and treated lumber (it costs about 1/3 more). Then the deck boards can be made of the new plastic boards and never need to be replaced again.
Your questions are welcome here.
Glenn

Back