Granite Counter Chip Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpenceFish

Reaction score
I'm a new member and I need some help deciding how to repair my newly chipped granite countertop. Chipped the ogee edge on the flat top corner just before it goes into the bevel. Wacked it with a heavy pot.

Now, I need to know if anyone sells a resin repair kit or something similar I can put together. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have a Black countertop with blue and grey specks in it. It's called Blue Starlight.

Thanks,
Spence

PS: Gentlemen, thank you for your tips, but I did a little experimenting myself and came up with a perfect repair. Unfortunately, I didn't take before and after photos.

I greased up a long metal socket (3/4", the same diameter as the cove in the Ogee edge) and taped it to the radius of the edge up against the chipped area. This served as my form for the repair (greased so the epoxy didn't stick to it). I ground up some granite particles from the bottom of the countertop, mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and added a very small amount of black India Ink and the particles. I then applied this to the chip with a razor blade to make it flat against the socket parallel to the countertop. 24 hrs. later, I removed the metal socket, sanded lightly and polished. Just like new.

Spence

Welcoem to the Forum SpenceFish:
A patch will always look like a patch to you if no one else. I would see if the one who installed it could come back and make the corner round and re-shape the ogee.
Send pictures of before and after if you can. We like to see good results on a job.
Glenn

Check the local tile store, Not the big box stores, they will have repair solutions and tools for the job. Sometimes it is cheaper to let the professional do it.:)

Back