countertop options?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milbry18

Reaction score
I have an old house with white metal cabinets and red (I think its laminate) countertops with chrome trim around the edges. The cabinets are in very good shape for their age its just the red countertops I hate. What options do I have ? Can I cover over the countertops with some type of thin vinyl material, or should I consider painting ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if your looking to go cheap you can buy 4x8 sheets of laminate that you glue on top of your existing counter as long as you dont have any curves. it takes a steady hand to get it to look nice. Also lowes and hd have precut countertop cheap $10 a foot. They look pretty nice im using them. they even have a back spash build in. Only problem is you end up with some seams. but with $350 compared to the same thing custom cut without seams for $1300. well the seams dont look so bad with an extra $1000 in my pocket.

Hey Milbry:
I had a brother-in-law who was an autobody man. Jim repainted his steel kitchen cabinets with auto finish. They looked great! Perhaps you can find a professional spray man to come in and redo yours.
I lean toward the big box, precut countertops like Guyod spoke of.
Please try posting some pictures of before and after. We wish you the best!
Glenn

Yes, the red is laminate. I'm very familiar with these 1950's cabinets and counters. The metal banding will interfere with applying new laminate, as the metal edge slightly wraps the edge of the existing laminate. One thin you could consider is removing the metal banding, apply new laminate over the existing laminate, and also laminate the exposed edge where the metal banding once was. You could also reinstall the metal banding, which would be better functionally (won't peel away as laminate might), but it will be lifted up by the extra thickness of the new laminate, thus exposing the bottom edge of the counter.

The best way to go is to replace the counter altogether. One drawback is that on a new counter with a built-in back splash, the back splash is only 3-1/2 inches tall (if I remember correctly) and if the existing counter has a back splash, it's probably 4 inches tall. This is a problem if you have tile on the wall above the back splash. What I've done in the past is rip some wood strips the thickness of the difference (1/2" in this case) and attach them to the top edges of the cabinets, and install the new counter on top of that.

This is all pretty complex, I know. So, you're probably wondering about painting the existing laminate. You can do that as a temporary fix. You'll have to thoroughly clean the surface and give it a scuff sanding with 120 or 150 grit sand paper. A fine grit sanding sponge also works well. Or heck, use a fine grit sanding sponge with soap and water to clean the surface! How's that for thinkin'? Rinse it thoroughly and let it completely dry. Then apply 3 coats of a good quality, satin finish paint of your favorite color. Even red if you want! Be sure to lightly sand between coats for a really nice finish. If you treat it gently it should last for several years.

One of my favorite sayings... "A little caulk, a little paint, makes a carpenter what he ain't." ;)

Toolguy
Why satin? wouldnt a gloss or even high gloss clean easier?

Toolguy
Why satin? wouldnt a gloss or even high gloss clean easier?

Satin will clean perfectly well. I made it a point to say satin because the shine of gloss or semigloss will show all the brush/roller texture, thus making sure it looks painted.

Tool guy
what do you think about topping it off with polyuratane?

I agree with you...dont see the point on that either....it should last.

Toolguy hit the nail on head :)

All I would ad is, if you end up painting start with a coat of Bullseye 123 from Zinser. It bonds to lams real well. It will make the paint not chip or peel.

I have looked at many different options for replacing my existing Formica countertops. I like granite (who doesn't) but I plan to sell soon and would like a less expensive alternative. I have looked at a new product called Weathered Stone that claims to go over existing countertops without having to remove them. They are at weathered-stone.com. It looks pretty cool and I think it may work for your project too.:)

I have looked at many different options for replacing my existing Formica countertops. I like granite (who doesn't) but I plan to sell soon and would like a less expensive alternative. I have looked at a new product called Weathered Stone that claims to go over existing countertops without having to remove them. They are at weathered-stone.com. It looks pretty cool and I think it may work for your project too.:)

Spammer. :mad:

Hello Sean:
You might also consider marble tile in 1' squares as the countertop. It would cost far less and would be easier for a DIYer to handle and you still get the marble top you wanted.
Glenn

You could cover them in copper....it's what I did. Got several pieces very cheap from this site store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com
Did my cabinets in the hammered ;) Anyway it's really easy just glue them on over the old counter top with silicone or liquid nails and bend it around the edges...cheap, easy,simple...hope this helps!!!

There are several types of countertops you could use to fit inside the kitchen. You can use stone, laminates, and engineered stone or ceramic tiles.
You have several options from which to make choice from; it can therefore get extremely confusing for you. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages; therefore you will require devoting a bit of time to choose by elimination.
Get some help and ideas from kitchencountertopspot(DOT)com

Older metal counters and equipment can be professionally spray painted. Any item that is painted must be completely cleaned and degreased before priming and painting. Field-painted equipment tends to be more susceptible to scratches than factory finish. To protect the new finish, you should install new trim or bumpers along all surfaces that come in contact with carts, trays and so on. Automotive-paint supply stores stock a wide variety of easily applied trim on rolls, in many sizes and colors.

This thread is a little stale now, but the general topic is timeless. For the price, you can't beat new Formica glued over the old. The metal band edge could be replaced with a new trim of any material. If you're going to spring for a solid surface, marble is probably the worst choice for a kitchen countertop; I'm a big fan of quartz (one brand: Silestone).

I used sheet Formica 180fx in a large kitchen. I avoided mitered seams and it worked out so well that I have to show people where the seams are.

Attachments

• 100_1083 (Small).jpg
    100_1083 (Small).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back