DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > wind noise from windows

Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 PM  
mbsigman

Default wind noise from windows

Howdy all. Newbie to the forum here.

Here in Texas the wind blows like a sonufagun all the time. Either it's blowing like a sonufagun from the south or it's blowing like a sonufagun from the north, but it's always blowing. The wind whistles across our windows (which all have solar screens attached) and inside it sounds almost like a haunted house.

Is there anything that can be done to the windows or solar screens outside to preclude the haunted house sound inside?

Thanks

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default Haunted noise...

The rattling is from the loose window sashs. To tighten them up your best solution is weatherstripping. Try the foam stuff first and see how it goes with one window. The next thing could be to install a few blocks with protection weatherstrip, or shims to push the window tight to the outside frame. These would be needed in the corners.
Go to a window and apply a little pressure to it,,,without breaking it ,,and you will see what I am suggesting.
Plenty of work,,but it does fix the haunted noise.

As you fiddle with it you will come up with a solution....anyone else?

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just tightened up my double hung windows by adding a strip of foam tape to the top and bottom of the sashes. I had found the upper sash was not tight to the top of the frame.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM  
mbsigman

Hi folks, and I thank you for your replies.

I apologize; I obviously didn't make myself clear enough. Our windows are not rattling nor are the solar screens (outside of the windows) rattling. What's going on is we are hearing the wind noise whistling around the windows. Can't feel any distinct air leaks per se, and long ago I installed foam weatherstripping around the windows at the bottom and where the window opens, about halfway up.

So it's not a rattling problem but rather a whistling problem. You've seen the horror movies where the wind can be heard whistling through the house. That's what it sounds like here. But there's no rattling; those windows are tighter than a gnat's (tush).

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Mike

Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What kind of ouside trim do you have? cased aluminum, wood, vinyl windows with j channel, is it basic, fancy , is there a sill? its hard to even guess with out seeing it..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default Yup

Hee's got a point...there may be something else causing it.
But if you have definitely narrowed it down to the windows....hmmm. You may need to change out windows.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM  
ToolGuy

Hi mbsigman, and welcome to the forums.

You may try removing the solar screen from a window while it's howling, to see if it makes a difference. If the noise stops, then at least you'll know what's causing it. However, a solution may be a little more tricky. Short of getting rid of the screens altogether, you'll need to figure out a way to make them stop whistling dixie.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM  
applefan

Default Same Issue

I'm new to the site, but glad to find someone else with the same window problem. Misery loves company

I had 6 windows replaced on my home, and when the wind is blow across that side of the house (shearing across the back), we hear reasonably loud whistling noises or "hooting" noises. There is no rattling and no wind infiltration through the new windows. I have tried removing the screens (no change), adding caulk where small gaps existed around the windows (no change), and taping narrow edges in the siding near the windows (no change).

It seems like the sound is caused by the shape of the aluminum wrap around the (old) wood frame sections, or maybe the shape of the new window frames. I haven't solved it yet, but I have a long list of things that didn't work.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to post. I figured I'd at least confirm that the original poster is not alone.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM  
applefan

Default Wind Noise

Blogo -- Perhaps there are different causes, but in my case the wind noise is definitely not caused by air passing around the seals of the window into (or out of) the house. The window installer and a rep from the manufacturer have confirmed the windows are tight when closed. The noise is coming from air/wind traveling over or around the outside of the house/siding/window. The tough part is figuring out what aspect of the window design or installation is generating the noise and then finding some change to make so the noise goes away. BTW, these are double hung windows a

Being at the end of my rope, I am now having these 2 year-old windows removed and replaced by another installer/manufacturer. I'm hoping the windows will be different enough that they won't make noise, but it's really just an expensive (!!) guess at this point.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 AM  
jimb2468

If anyone knows exactly what does consistently cause this wind noise around windows - believe it or not, I am actually trying to recreate it. I like the haunted house sound at night - it helps me sleep. I also am working on a project where that noise is essential.

please email me with any ideas on how I can create the wind noise sound.
thanks

Quick Reply