Last night, there was a smell of burnt plastic outside. Today, I noticed that the blower on my heat pump is not working. (The two may or may not be related) I've never done any AC repair work, but this seems do-able, and a good way to save some money. I'd like a second opinion before I go spend several hundred bucks on a new blower motor. Here's what I know:
- I have an Amana PHB48C02E1.
- The compressor was replaced a year and a half ago
- When the system is on, no air comes out of the vents
- When I turn the fan on, still no air out of the vents
- When the fan should be on, the motor buzzes, and turns very slowly (about 1 rpm) After a short while, the buzzing stops (assume this is some protection circuitry)
- The blower blades are very easy to turn (not seized)
- I checked the capacitor for the motor, and it seemed good-- 8uF, no short
- The motor was very hot
I found only one place with a replacement blower motor (for $350)
The question is, should I go ahead and buy the replacement motor, or is there something else I should be concerned/ aware of?
Thanks for the help!