Floor Pier replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redeemed

Reaction score
On a recent remodel the inspector said a number of piers were leaning and/or not attached or footed. They seem to be temporary "post" under the floor joist. How many are necessary and at what distance apart.
Thanks

Where they under the floor joists or the main beam supporting the floor joists? What are the posts made of ? is the basement floor concrete or dirt. is there footers under the posts? if its on a concrete floor. is it cemented in? if its on the concrete is it sinking in? On average a main beam should be supported every 10 feet. But i have no idea what kind of system you have so i wouldn't rely on that. If you can my questions and take some picture we can try and help

You said ...recent remodel. Is this a new project with an addition to the house which is not finished?
Basically it sounds like you have the temporary posts up to support an addition which needs permanent posts to support the beam .
If this is the case ....you need to know what you are holding up. How many stories tall, and how high off the ground also come to mind.
Like Guyod said ...pictures, or help with some of the questions we asked.:D

Back