Pig Tailing outlets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rincon how's it goin? I noticed in "reading your thread" you made mention of some boxes that when you pulled forward there was no longer enough wire to reach the plug. Does this mean that the sheathing is not in the box 1/2 inch anymore? If you move the box out and the sheathing goes out the back door, you best use an extention on that one. It is very important where wire passes through box hole it is protected. And one handy tip for the day, do your pig tailing before placing extention on box. Makes it easier for fingers to reach wire. And you can take the shorter wires and train them together so they stay by twisting them, then take your 6 or 8inch tail and bend about one and a half inches over to face back towards you, then you can hold this by long end and put next to your stripped wires in back of box. Then put a wire nut on them, you might find it easier to spin nut backwards a little till you feel wires engage, then twist em up like mentioned before. Hope this helps out, or at least makes you laugh, friend. Good luck....

Hey Rincon how's it goin? I noticed in "reading your thread" you made mention of some boxes that when you pulled forward there was no longer enough wire to reach the plug. Does this mean that the sheathing is not in the box 1/2 inch anymore? If you move the box out and the sheathing goes out the back door, you best use an extention on that one. It is very important where wire passes through box hole it is protected. And one handy tip for the day, do your pig tailing before placing extention on box. Makes it easier for fingers to reach wire. And you can take the shorter wires and train them together so they stay by twisting them, then take your 6 or 8inch tail and bend about one and a half inches over to face back towards you, then you can hold this by long end and put next to your stripped wires in back of box. Then put a wire nut on them, you might find it easier to spin nut backwards a little till you feel wires engage, then twist em up like mentioned before. Hope this helps out, or at least makes you laugh, friend. Good luck....

Triple D, THanks for the input. When I pull them out to be flush there is enough sheathing left inside the box. The problem comes in when I had to cut the wire fro mthe back of the "back stabbed" outlet. Its like they wired the outlets before attaching the box to the wall. Meaning fed the wire through the box pealed back sheathing barely back stabbed the outlet and then pulled wire backout of the back of the box then attached to the wall. I really doubt this is what they did, but geez they had some weird way of limiting the use of the wire. Maybe they had really really really small fingers.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I always seem to learn way more than I ever expect to.

Stab locks are legal to code and as long as they are, people will continue to use them.

I see screws vs. stab locks much like this. If someone were to invent and market a drive on replacement for a lug nut on your car, would you use them or stick with the security and time tested and proven lug nuts that we've been using all of these years?

It only takes a few seconds longer to wrap a wire around a screw and tighten. I have never left a job wondering how long a screw would hold a copper wire. The connection is much better, The surface area from wire to device in constant contact is much greater and the binding pressure much stronger when you use a screw rather than with a stab lock.
Agreed, I never use them

Hey side bar... Im a moderator on a BMW forum, we are using vBulletin® Version 3.6.7... you guys should upgrade since its free to... a LOT of cooler features, especially for us MODS!

Back