DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > move return air to floor?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 AM  
Amber
Default move return air to floor?

I am tearing down walls to remodel my kitchen but one wall has a return air duct near the ceiling (no actual ducting in the wall, it's hollow between the studs.) There is only one other return air duct in the area (about ten feet away) but the room will be very open once the walls come down. There will be no interior walls left so my only foreseeable option is the floor. Can I have return air duct on the floor? Also there are cathedral ceilings in the area; no attic.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Amber - Warm air rises. That is why its high on the wall to maximize cooling efficiency. If you move it to the floor it may not do such a good job at keeping things cool in the summer. Moving it to the floor is better that eliminating it altogether. It wont hurt anything it may just make your system not work as well as it currently does.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 PM  
glennjanie
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Amber:
Your house sounds like it will be wide open when you finish with the walls. One return air filter-grille should do the job very well. The additional returns in seperate rooms are to keep those rooms in the loop of air; no walls? no need for additional returns. I hope this helps.
Glenn

Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 AM  
68bucks

Well I'd like to revive this old thread rather than start another return air thread. I ran across it while searching and my question is similar to this thread but I'd like to drill down a little deeper on it. I am remolding a home and it is basically one room, open concept on the first floor. The room is almost 50'x25'. The kitchen occupies about 14'x14' in one corner. There is a small entry area on one end and a short (8') hall to the utility room. There is a return air grill on a wall near the entry and there was one on a partial wall separating the kitchen from the living area of the room. It faced that living area. Well that wall is gone and I need to move the return. However there are not many interior walls, basically none in the living area of the room.

So what are my options. I can put it on an outside wall, not good I suspect. I can hide it in the kitchen cabinet toe kick area. I worry about drafts with that. I know usually no kitchen return because of odor but its all one room any way I figure. There is an upstairs bedroom that is open like a loft so its connected any way. There are 2 other bedrooms upstairs but they are off a separate furnace. Option 3 might be in the wall of the hallway to the utility room. With this there would be 2 returns near the entry only 8'-10' apart, close to the furnace but none at the other end of the room some 40' away. With this location I could put one up high on the wall, the other one is near the floor. Think the air flow from one end to the other would be OK and keep the room evenly heated? Only other thing I can some up with is in the floor somewhere but that would be tricky and not particularly attractive.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 PM  
frodo

Liked 605 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 289

can you provide a floor plan sketch?

Some people are like a Slinky-not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM  
68bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
can you provide a floor plan sketch?
This is pretty close I think. The hallway is new in the renovation. Prior there was a doorway into the utility and 1/2 bath through the wall in the kitchen and there were 2 closets in the entry area. We blew the back of the closet out to make the hallway and closed the kitchen wall opening. The clod air duct runs from furnace toward the return in the hall way as 2 joists panned then turns left in the sketch and heads as a duct toward the living area end of the room. The return in the old location was a panned joist over to the duct.
HVAC.jpg  

Old 10-19-2015, 10:27 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

As long as the hallway is open to the space at the doorway that should work as a location for the air return. Around here we have the filters behind the return grills so I'd avoid putting it in the floor as it would get a lot of dirt on the filter or in the duct w/o a filter there. I've never seen return ducts in the exterior walls so I'd avoid that. Supply comes in at the exterior walls, usually under windows and returns are in the interior of the house.

A movable damper to allow you to have a high return and a low return works if you are doing both heating and cooling with the ducts. Use the high return in the summer to pull in hot air and the low return in the winter to pull in the cooler air.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM  
68bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
As long as the hallway is open to the space at the doorway that should work as a location for the air return. Around here we have the filters behind the return grills so I'd avoid putting it in the floor as it would get a lot of dirt on the filter or in the duct w/o a filter there. I've never seen return ducts in the exterior walls so I'd avoid that. Supply comes in at the exterior walls, usually under windows and returns are in the interior of the house.

A movable damper to allow you to have a high return and a low return works if you are doing both heating and cooling with the ducts. Use the high return in the summer to pull in hot air and the low return in the winter to pull in the cooler air.
If I put the return in the hallway I thought about putting that one up higher that would give me one high and one low, reasonable compromise. The hallway will be completely open no door or anything to block flow from the rest of the room.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM  
frodo

Liked 605 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 289

set the unit in the utility room, on a platform, with the return under the unit

install a hole in the wall between utility room and kitchen with gril on both sides. above cabinets

install grills high/low on the door to the utility room

basically using the room as a plenum. instead of running duct
120vac40a_rev.jpg  

Some people are like a Slinky-not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM  
68bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
set the unit in the utility room, on a platform, with the return under the unit

install a hole in the wall between utility room and kitchen with gril on both sides. above cabinets

install grills high/low on the door to the utility room

basically using the room as a plenum. instead of running duct
Not sure I can do any of that. I have floor to ceiling cabinets on the kitchen side of that wall, other than the back splash area. I have to double check but I think I'm almost tight to the ceiling on top of the furnace. Off the furnace cabinet there is a Space Guard filter then the plenum rolls over the top and goes vertically down through the floor into a crawl. The A coil is under the furnace at floor level now I believe. I can do vents in the door no problem but unless I can get it to the blower it won't help my return. If I had to put in a floor return I could do it in the utility room more or less accomplishing the same result as you suggested and at least the floor return would be in a better looking place. I don't really see how I would change the performance of the system much by returning the air from a new return in the new hallway vs. the louvers in the door and platform return or floor return in the utility room. It seems like my air flow through the room is still basically the same. I'm still pulling from one end of a large room. Thanks for the ideas.