Replace floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan208

Reaction score
We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. Cabinets have been taken out and the new drywall has been hung, just not mudded yet (soon hopefully). We really like the wood floors that are already there. They are fairly old and in really good shape. The problem is that the sink is in an island in the middle of the kitchen. We are moving it to the wall under the window so we can have a table (small house, no dining room). What can be done with the holes in the floor where the sink currently resides? Is it something that can be fixed? Sure, there is going to be a table and area rug over the holes if we get them fixed, but when it comes time to sell the house I don't want a huge nasty repaired hole staring up from the floor. I'm kind of hesitant to have the floors replaced because then I'd have to have the hallway and both bedrooms replaced to match. Can a new floor be installed over the existing one, or should it be ripped up first? The initial plan was to get everything in place and then worry about the floors last. If we do have to get them replaced should the floor be done first, or can you install a new floor with cabinets already in place?

Dan

Hardwood floor repairs are possible. It usually involves cutting the bottom off of the groove side of the patch piece and planing the tongue a bit so it will hinge easily into place. Matching the colors is actually more difficult than the repair itself. Be prepared to plane or sand the patch piece to fit flush with the other floor boards (that'll be a lesson in patience and perseverance).. Then face nail or glue it into place. Fill the nail holes and stay off of it until the finish has set.

When you repair the floor, remove a piece of the hardwood and take it with you to the store. Then match the stain color as best you can. Then use a new piece of hardwood and stain it to see if the color is close.
Then repair the boards, sand the entire floor, and stain only the new boards...then finish the rest when that dries with your finish coats of urethane.

Or you can borrow some old existing hardwood from a closet and do the repair with new wood where it will not be seen. This takes more work and finesse, but matches just fine.
Good luck, you can doooooo it.:)

or after the repair instead of matching it he could sand it all to match and then stain it? or he could just put a floating floor over it. But u said you liked the floor. Lucky for my house when we moved the sink we covered the old spot with a cabinet and then put a floating floor over the hardwood floor we had.

After talking it over with my wife this weekend I think we are just going to hire someone to fix it. She wants all the floors to be refinished and that's a project that I really don't want to take up myself.

Dan

Hi Everyone. New person on the block and am enjoying this site. Am interested in your experiences with your kitchen floor. We redid our original oak LR/DR floors and love them. However they do scratch easily. That was the easy part. Now on to the kitchen/bath/hallway and we are stuck. Have sheet lino that has been the most practical floor ever but needs to go. DH would love sheet lino but I say lets look around for something a little more high end. He will not do tile because of arthritis in the hip plus he is a retired tradesman who worked on concrete all his life and does not want it in his future. I would like wood but everyone tells me not in the wet area. Any experience out there with Cork esp Wiccanders commercial? Also considering Mannington Adura luxury vinyl tile. I am leaning towards a hard maple but the guys who did our oak floors can come in and match. (They do not recommend wood floors in the wet areas. I admire their honesty but it makes my choice harder convincing husband and we keep going around and around.)

In the previous post I meant to ask about experiences with hardwood flooring in wet areas since that is high on my list and got a little side tracked with other possibilities I am considering.:rolleyes: Any advice on any of the topics would be appreciated

Latest posts

Back