Views on level vs. parallel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP

Reaction score
Hi

I recently moved into an old (1880) property and am having endless hours of head-scratching as there do not to seem to be any right angles, parallels or levels anywhere - not surprising I suppose for the age of the property.

Let me give you a particular problem and your thoughts on which option I should go for will be gratefully received: I need to install curtain rails (easy enough), but do I make them level, or parallel to the top of the window? The two are not the same - over the width of the window there is about 2 cm difference in the two options. My feeling is I should go parallel to the window top as this is what will be noticed, but I would like to know your thoughts. I am beset with these types of problems as you can imagine.

Many thanks

Brian

Go with what looks pleasing to the eye.
This may take a couple of tries, but is easy enough to fix.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
We call these houses,..... ones with character.:D

I think in your case level would look wrong. In fact it would look un level. You would be better off parallel which would look level even though it wasn't. I hope I said that right.

I vote for the Roofing God on this one.
Glenn

The curtains will hang plumb regardless. Do what looks best and put the level away. Just hange em and see if it looks right, drink a beer first and all will be well.

Back