Cutting bricks on hearth?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
I have a brick bench/hearth about 12 inches high x 15 feet long. The top of the bench has bricks that hang over the front edge about 1/2 inch. I want to cut them off flush with the rest of them below so I can tile over them. I'd just build out the area below to make it flat but the top of the brick bench butts to the patio door casing so there's no room for tile unless I notch the casing which I think would look ugly. What is the best way to cut off that 15 foot length of brick? Notching that casing to allow for tile is looking better even as I write this, lol. Thanks.

I would get a diamond blade for your circular saw, set up a guide and have at it. Since you're tiling over the cut, I would try a 1/2" deep cut first and see if a cold chisel would split the rest away so you wouldn't have to cut completely through...

brick has no grain so, imho, using the brick chisel won't work,,, cut full depth & be prepared for LOTS of dust,,, 2 man job - i running the saw & the other holding the vac hose

Latest posts

Back