DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > 32 inch door in a 30 inch space?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:51 PM  
TaskBoy

Default 32 inch door in a 30 inch space?

A Home Depot Millworks Dept. fellow told be I can install a 32 inch exterior fiberglass door even though I have an existing 30 inch by removing a jack stud or king stud (forgot what the name is) on one side to make more room. Is that ok?

If so, the hinge side is kinda close to the wall that is 90* to the exterior wall where the door is. Can I remove the on on the non-hinge side as I have more wall to deal with? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello TaskBoy:
It doesn't matter much which side you take out; just remember that the jack stud is there to hold a header up over the door. You may need to make some adjustments for that. Check to see what kind of load might be on the header and if the studs have a skin of plywood or oriented strand board over them and the header. If that is the case, a few extra nails in the skin would strengthen the wall considerably.
Glenn

Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 PM  
PaulMin

I wouldn't take that advice you were given at HD. The fact that it's an outside wall makes it even more important. I know HD does not sell 30" exterior so the idiot was trying to sell you something he had.
Have a door made it isn't much more $$ and you will possibly save yourself some major aggravation.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 AM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What the #@&!

A guy told you to just take out one of your cripplers to fit a bigger door in? Typically a header rests on the cripplers, wich are butted against the kings that go full height. Removing one of these door frame studs could be detramental, (or some word that means hazardous). The only proffesional answer here is to get same size door, or to remove drywall or siding to rebuild rough opening properly. Imagine if your trusses or joists rested on top of this wall and you dropped one side of a 34" header. Thats like taking two or three studs out of a wall. Thats my opinion, not that anyone asked, just had to throw in my two. I would feed that door to the guy you got it from. Good luck......

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 132 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Default What

I'd go with "what the????"
The exterior door in your part of "Earthquakeville USA" needs to be done correctly. Any advice from the HD guy you delt with is wrong.
Change the header and get a 36 inch door if you can fit it.
Go to the library and get a framing book to help you out, they are still free. And have the right answers.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaskBoy View Post
A Home Depot Millworks Dept. fellow told be I can install a 32 inch exterior fiberglass door even though I have an existing 30 inch by removing a jack stud or king stud (forgot what the name is) on one side to make more room. Is that ok?

If so, the hinge side is kinda close to the wall that is 90* to the exterior wall where the door is. Can I remove the on on the non-hinge side as I have more wall to deal with? Thanks.
No way, No Way, No way, do not even concider this. Order a custom door or reframe.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 AM  
TaskBoy

After seeing your replies and rereading my post... he was talking about removing the add'l short stud that is next to the full-length king stud. Still a bad idea?

The fiberglass door is by Masonite a half light, two panel design. They don't offer a 30 in fiberglass in that config. Other brands to consider?

Old 06-07-2008, 01:29 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The sud he is talking about is the support for your header beam.

headerjpg.jpg  

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-07-2008, 03:29 PM  
TaskBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl in Nanoose View Post
The sud he is talking about is the support for your header beam.
Daryl, thanks for the drawing. If the stud the HD guy was referring to is/are the short one(s) your drawing, then he was and is a loon!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Now, you're getting there. It is a little bigger job than first anticipated but tell me one that isn't.
Glenn

Quick Reply