DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Stapling electrical wire triggers sparks

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM  
pressureseal

Default Stapling electrical wire triggers sparks

I have just finished the wiring for a room in my house and was putting in the last few staples to hold the wire down. I didn't think to turn the power off while doing this. While pounding in a staple of a wire going into a switch box, the switch box threw a series of sparks and the power off of the switch went out.

My question is, what exactly caused this to happen? My wiring in the switch box seems to be solid. Whites and neutrals twisted together tight and locked into pig tails. The wire ends to the switches are wrapped around solid. Could this have been caused by a small spark from when the hammer hitt the staple? The electrical switch wasn't screwed into the box so could it have bumped into the box by the shaking and returned via the neutral? Any theories?

My main concern here is that I have done something wrong with the wiring. I have a permit and am having it inspected but would still like to be relatively certain I don't have a dangerous setup here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Sounds like that last staple pierced or crushed the wires inside the casing. Pull that staple back out, inspect and repair your wires. You'll probably have to replace the switch/outlet and reset the circuit breaker (after all repairs have been completed).

Old 06-28-2008, 09:07 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
Sounds like that last staple pierced or crushed the wires inside the casing. Pull that staple back out, inspect and repair your wires. You'll probably have to replace the switch/outlet and reset the circuit breaker (after all repairs have been completed).
No because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressureseal View Post
While pounding in a staple of a wire going into a switch box, the switch box threw a series of sparks and the power off of the switch went out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressureseal View Post
The electrical switch wasn't screwed into the box so could it have bumped into the box by the shaking and returned via the neutral?
THIS is your problem. The switch shorted to the box. It did not "return" on the neutral. The box should be bonded to the ground wire.

WHY the hell were you working with the power on????

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

My Bad!

I didn't think about those metal boxes in residential. I'm industrial, so I'm ashamed that this escaped me.

Probably because, I wrap electrical tape around the back of the outlet or switch to cover the exposed lugs.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Haven't we all had a little zinger from wiring a divice hot? I sure have had my share.... stupid, I know. It can be a heart stopper and should never be the practice of an electrician. Step 1. turn the power off and check to be sure its off with a meter.
Glenn

Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

I learned my lesson also....

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I cant make sparks.....

When the device is screwed in, even just a little bit and wiggling, it's hard to short out screws on device to the box unless they are not screwed in to device. If you don't see where the screw sparked on box, maybe you had the switch on, and shorted with a staple, the switch leg, this could cause a switch to throw sparks. Just another two cents, as always good luck.....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by triple D; 07-26-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM  
pressureseal

You guys were correct. The switch wasn't screwed down so when I was nailing in the staple, the pressure must have been just enough to pull the hot side to the box and ZAAAPPP!

Old 08-02-2008, 04:51 AM  
COMP

you are lucky

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM  
frodo

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 41

i was hooking up a kitchen sink once, and the wire to the disposal was hot
and buzzed my ear. the electrican on the job apolgised, after i stoped chasing him.

Quick Reply