DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cast Iron Bath Tub has rust and hole around drain

Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM  
stevesahni

Default Cast Iron Bath Tub has rust and hole around drain

We have a cast iron tub in a bath room of a condominium located in a high rise building. The tub has rust around the drain and it seems some rust has resulted in a hole since water is leaking in the condo downstairs. Any suggestions how to fix the problem. Repalcing the tub is very expensive. The tub has been there for over 15 years. Do not know the condition of the drains underneath.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome SteveSahni:
Typically a cast iron tub will show some rust but will not rust through. There may be enough rust to interfeir with the gasket on the drain causing the leak.
Of course, you will need access to the bottom of the tub. Take the drain loose, clean the bottom and inside of the tub with a wire brush, replace the gasket on the bottom and use some plumber's putty on the inside. You may need to replace any slip-joint gaskets at the same time.
Glenn

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM  
stevesahni

Default leak in drain of tub

Dear Glenn,

Thanks for your input. Any chance we can do this from the top of the tub. If not we will have to cut the sheet rock underneath (lot of hassle) and then get underneath the drain. The top is easily accessible. Have attached a photo of the drain the way it looks now. Hope this helps.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Welcome SteveSahni:
Typically a cast iron tub will show some rust but will not rust through. There may be enough rust to interfeir with the gasket on the drain causing the leak.
Of course, you will need access to the bottom of the tub. Take the drain loose, clean the bottom and inside of the tub with a wire brush, replace the gasket on the bottom and use some plumber's putty on the inside. You may need to replace any slip-joint gaskets at the same time.
Glenn
drain1 328.jpg  

Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 AM  
frodo

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default tub

that tub in the picture is not a cast iron tub. from the looks of it .its a steel tub. and that rust does not look good at all. take the waste and overflow off of the tub. and clean up that rust. take another picture and post it.
that tub might have to come out sorry......

Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 AM  
Daryl

If this tub has perferated through in the area where the rust is you might have a real problem. There isn't any way to easily repair such a hole.
One possibillity would be to remove the drain trim (the silver part that you can see) which will be a challenge in itself since the center bars are gone. This procedure involves a cold chisel and hammer alone! Then you must remove the bottom section of the drain from the tub which involves opening up the area beneath the tub for access. The next step is grinding away the rust on both sides of the drain and filling with automotive fiber reinforced fiberglass and smoothing out the surfaces on bith sides of drain opening to allow for the fitting of the rubber gasket and trim to the drain line. THEN priming and painting the tub with the proper finishes which takes a specialized service. THEN reconnecting all of the drain components back up and fixing the drywall surfaces. Hmmmmmmm. I think a new tub would be easier and less expensive in the long run. If you do find this tub is cast iron and are wanting to remove it for replacement, believe it or not you break them up with a sledge hammer and take em out in pieces. By covering them with plastic carpet protector first you can keep the flying glass shards down to almost zero. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 AM  
Tyler

Default steel putty to repair rusted through tub drain

I had a similar problem in my steel tub. The tub itself around the drain was rusted all the way through. I took out the drain, broke off most of the really bad rust, and got some moldable steel putty. (Not sure of the name, but it came like a fat crayon, bought it at Ace hardware). It says you can use this stuff to repair engine parts! I formed this underneath the tub, pressing it tight against the existing opening and shaping it. After a few hours, it was solid as steel, and I just painted over it with some of that porcelain touchup paint and it looks good as new. I put back in a new drain with fresh rubber gasket and it works great. It's been a little over a year and still holding up, but I know there's still rust under there, as I can see a little bit of rust stain coming through the porcelain paint, but for now it's still strong. Had I known how good this steel putty was, I'd have done a better job removing the rust beforehand.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM  
gosamer10

the rust is on the outside of the bathtub and pieces of the outside of the bathtub are falling off. any advise.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM  
msladyg

The name of it is called Fast Steel and you can get at Home Depot for under $3.00....I had this problem in a rental property recently, and did not want to spend the money in replacing the bathtub bc then i would have to replace the surround because i was paying for so much already....anyway, I used this stuff, and this worked superbly...thanks Tyler for the information...your description helped me find it and helped save me tons of money.

Last edited by msladyg; 03-08-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM  
DIYer in VA

Would Fast Steel or a similar steel putty work on a cast iron drain as well? My cast iron drain is showing signs of wear but has not yet rusted through - the porcelain is worn off. What would be the best way to seal the cast iron and prevent rust?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 PM  
shari143
Ms.

Send a message via Yahoo to shari143

My tub looks the same way. I tried to clean the rust off with CLR, but the rust is deeper. How much do you think it would cost to have someone repair it for me?
Thanks for your help.
Shari

Quick Reply