DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Installing copper pipe

Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM  
PAULYBOY
SABUMNIM

Default Installing copper pipe

I'm planning on replacing the old pipes in my 90 year old house with copper this summer. My plan is to make all the pipe up in sections with the bends in the right place and prefab it into 2 or 3 large units. Once that's done, I was going to remove the old pipe and assemble the new stuff into a large complete unit, so as to minimize time without water. The pressure regulator in the house is newer, although the home inspector told me on the walk through that it was about 30 lbs. higher than it should be, so I guess I better adjust that while changing out the pipes. Am I on the right trabk here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 PM  
MinConst

Pauly,
If you are experienced with soldering copper, which from the sound of your question doesn't seem so. prefabbing the runs is really not the way to go. You will inevitably run into places where you won't be able to fit a large section of pipe in place. It is best to do the job piece by piece. even if you don't connect the new to the old. Planning this out before you start will go along way. If you solder well you will be fine. If you are just learning to solder you may run into some leaks along the way. Plan on not having water for the morning or afternoon at least so your not rushed. Be patient and remember a torch can light things in its path. Be very careful and have an extinguisher on hand. Watch for dripping solder it burns.
If you are really comfortable with all this fine. If you have any concerns about safety you would be better off hiring the job to professional.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Minichillo' Construction[/COLOR]
[I]I will never leave you hanging![/I]
[URL="http://www.***********************.com"]Web[/URL]
[URL="http://www.***********************.com/yaf"]One Man Shop[/URL]

Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 PM  
Aceinstaller

If the water bieng down for a long period of time is an issue. consider running all of the copper pipe next to the galvanized runs throughout the home with stubs next to the fixtues. once all of the rough is in, connect all of the fixtures and the main in one day. then demo the old galvanized after the copper is in.

also listen carefully to what the inspector is reccomending.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 AM  
zander

Default Plan it out

I did this Job on my house before i knew what i was doing-about five years ago.
Started at 8 in the morning and finnished at 11pm.
Only thing i would do different is to not cut off the 3/4 flare where it came into the house. Would have been an eight hour day with out that mistake.
Spend some time to get all the parts together before hand. Oh, ya i would buy a quality torch. Self lighting and with enough heat to solder one inch copper with a little water in it.
Figure out what you are going to do and count up the elbows, couplings, valves, adapters, and such. turbo torch TX540 i think is what i use now or acetylene
Does your house have more than one bathroom?
I would just focus on making the place liveable in one day.
You can get water for cooking from the bath room.
You can flush the toilet with a five gallon bucket.
I gota get a hot shower so that is the first thing i made sure of.
You can install ball valves to isolate one area from another so you don't feel pressured to get it done so fast. cap off some of the galvanzed. Tear out the pipe in that area and plumb it with copper so it is ready to go the day you conect that area with the rest of the plumbing.
I assume that your water pressure is high so that water will be forced through that plugged up galvanized pipe.
Im sure the inspector means well but i would take what he is saying with a grain of salt as he is not a professional in any one area. Like a handy man he knows a little about a lot.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:37 PM  
Aceinstaller

call the building department and follow all local codes.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM  
PAULYBOY
SABUMNIM

Thanks fer the advice, fellas. I've got a self lighting torch with MAPP gas, good pipe scrubber thingy, good solder. I previously installed a new valv for the toilet, as well as replaced several old shut off valves with ball valves, and installed a double kitchen sink with disposal. I'm not new to the game, just never tried something of this magnitude. Ace, I like your idea of sistering up the new stuff next to the old with spuds for all the valves and pipes going through the floor. That's what I was trying to describe, but I only had 2 brain cells when I posted originally.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 132 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default Thats IT!!

Two brain cells!! I wish some times!! PAULYBOY please tell me those eyes are really yours!!
Great picture!!(No kidding)

Its a madd madd world!!

Welcome,
InspectorD

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 AM  
PAULYBOY
SABUMNIM

Hey, inspectorD, that was taken last year, when my nieces butterfly house resulted in the larvae unfolding their wings and taking their first flight. That one landed on my nose. Really. No kidding! My two grown kids had them land on them too, and my 23 year old daughter totallt freaked!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default Pipe selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBOY
I'm planning on replacing the old pipes in my 90 year old house with copper this summer. My plan is to make all the pipe up in sections with the bends in the right place and prefab it into 2 or 3 large units. Once that's done, I was going to remove the old pipe and assemble the new stuff into a large complete unit, so as to minimize time without water. The pressure regulator in the house is newer, although the home inspector told me on the walk through that it was about 30 lbs. higher than it should be, so I guess I better adjust that while changing out the pipes. Am I on the right trabk here?
Yes the adjustment of the pressure regulator is a good first step, however, unless you have a lot of experience with copper pipe I would reccommend that you use CPVC (hot & cold) pipe and fittings. We have found that after 25 to 30 years of use the copper fittings wear through on the outside of an ell. Copper is very troublesome for the inexperienced to install too; the torch you would probably use to solder the pipe is a definite fire hazard especially in an older home; the wood is drier and very flamable.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:13 PM  
cabinetsetc

Do you guys really not have "bowplex" down there? It would cut your time by 75%.

Quick Reply