DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Varnish/Stain stripper

Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 AM  
oxicottin

Default Varnish/Stain stripper

Hello, I want to strip my door jams threw out the house and re-stain the jams and replace the outside trim. There is some wall paint and it appears to have polyurethane then a stain or varnish. This is an old house but it appears that the doors have never been refinished maybe just toped with polyurethane. My question is what stripper/remover is good? The jams are not going to be removed so I need something thick. I not worried about the smell because nobody lives there. I also need something I don’t have to order maybe something from Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks,
Chad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Citrustrip. It's just thick enough to stick but you may want to reapply it if it dries or just strip small areas, then go back and recoat/wipe down the entire door jam to blend it all in before you prep for stain and finish.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply