DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > painted wall oven door

Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM  
chirp

Default painted wall oven door

hello everyone

we are buying a house and through the years some genius painted the double wall oven doors. yay!

i want to take it off. replacing the doors or the ovens themselves would be expensive. it is an electric oven. could i use turpentine? or sandpaper? what should i refinish it with when i'm done? i'm sure it's probably not gonna look too great underneath it is OLD!

opinions? advice?

tia!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM  
ciera

They painted the oven? Do you have a picture? Honestly, it doesn't seem so safe to paint something that gets hot. Who knows what kind of fumes could occur. Therefore, I wouldn't refinish it...

You can get a new oven fairly cheap. Check the Sears Outlet. They have ding-and-dent appliances. The prices are automatically dropped after an appliance sits for a X number of days, so you can get a good deal if you're patient. (We got a $1300 fridge for $400, it just had one small dent that we covered with a magnet.)

There may also be a local dings-and-dents appliance store near you, check around.

I hope you're getting an amazing deal on this house...sounds like it has a lot of problems.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 AM  
chirp

yeah, that's what i'm worried about...fumes.

although i have read that there is high temp paint out there.

we are getting a great deal on the house though. and it really only has one big problem...i don't see the oven door as too much of a problem.

ding and dent sales...yeah, my husband was talking about that. doesn't sound bad at all.

thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM  
FreeStuffRockz

Default I just went throught he same thing lol

I just went through the same thing ..
We bought a house for a great deal as well & guess what my stove top was painted 3 times! (can't see it in pic but was bad)with non heat resistant paint.
I guess they think that paint hides an old appliance & yes it does but it makes the appliance un-usable to the new home buyer. I hope someone who has thought about painting the stove (or oven in your case) will read this & use the correct type of paint to do so if they choose that route.
Here's what I did:
I watched my local craigslist & found a free stove & installed it now I can use my stove & it was free. I am redoing my whole kitchen after the first of the year but needed something right away & didn't want to spend much money. Here's a pic of my new stove. I turned right around & gave my old stove away for free & it was gone with in the first two days of posting it on craigslist. It just proves one mans trash is another mans treasure lol.
Good luck

Last edited by FreeStuffRockz; 12-03-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM  
design

I've heard of people painting appliances, but usually they take them to an auto body shop for a custom color and sealed finish. I wouldn't want to try anything at home for fear of the fumes...

Quick Reply