DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > LIttle electrical dilemma

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM  
Senior Member
dakuda's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 174
Default LIttle electrical dilemma

Yesterday a switch of mine fried. The plastic melted, and I lost power to the switched outlet. No big deal, I thought.

I switched out the switch and now when I turn it on, the breaker pops. I cut the wire back past the burn on the insulation and exposed new copper to connect to the switch. The wires went to the exact same spots on the new switch. What am I missing?

The house was built in the 50's, and this part of the house still has the existing wiring from when I bought it.

dakuda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 693
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


You have may have a short circuit. Check the outlet box that the switch controls. You may find insulation peeled off and a short in the box .
travelover is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
What to do? Electrical outlet above stove burner! FreeStuffRockz Electrical and Wiring 8 11-21-2008 12:43 PM
cutting a hole for an electrical outlet daniel2229 General Home Improvement Discussion 9 07-22-2008 04:24 PM
Overheated Wiring & Electrical Surges Electrical and Wiring 4 07-11-2006 08:34 PM
Electrical Service Capacity Gary Allhiser Electrical and Wiring 1 02-18-2006 02:11 PM

Newest Threads