DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > Rotten header joist

Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM  
STLC1215
BEACH ROAD

Send a message via AIM to STLC1215
Default Rotten header joist

I've own my house for 3 years. When the house was inspected, the inspector told me it would be at leat 7,000.00 to repair the crawl space. Thank God there is no mold, but the house needs to be reinforced. Some of the joist are sister. I've place a 6 mil vaper barrier on top of soil. filled in whatever openings were on the foundation, and also painted with water/moister piant.
The crawl space is about 2' to 3' to 4' in some areas. I had the bathroom remodle when the contractor remove the floor. He discover the header joist was rotten. The header under the living room would have to be replace. I would have to remove my hardwood floor. There is no sill plate. Is it possible to raise the house and do area by area. I am just lost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome STLC:
Yes, it is possible to replace a little at a time. I would not take up any hardwood unless the decay is in the subfloor. You can replace the framing members from underneath; with ground clearance like that, its almost like a basement.
Glenn

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1585

did i understand right the floor joist and rim joist are sitting on concrete and some one has already sistered on repair joists

Quick Reply