DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Solar lights for landscaping

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM  
AU_Prospector

Default Solar lights for landscaping

Hello,

I am having a hard time with solar lights. Has anyone come across a ratings listing of products or a ratings website?

What I am interested in is the intensity of the light produced. If there were a common system of either lumens or apparent wattage that would be great. If I look at a package of solar lights, I see neither.

What I want is some solar lights to illuminate a walkway in front of my home. Most solar lights appear very dim and wouldnt illuminate the walkway suffeciently in my opinion. Low voltage would be okay, but free solar power is better. Anyone recommend a ratings website or a specific manufacturer that produces good bright LED solar? Im thinking 9 or more LEDs per light rather than the standard 3 or 4.

Thanks for any help
Prospector

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM  
bacon

I've owned 2 different sets of solar lights.

Conclusion: I will not own a third set. Ever.

Maybe one day the technology will improve, but as of last year, solar lighting is pretty much crap. Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 4

3-4 LED per light? The ones I have are only 1 LED. I guess they are the real cheap ones.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 AM  
JALEXED2

The solar lights seem to dim over time. My neighbors lasted about 3 years (maybe). Now they barely illuminate anything so seriously consider a low voltage system if you feel you need this lighting.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 226 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 279

If you want area lighting, forget solar. But if you want enough light for a path or walkway, solar can be fine. Of course you could add as many solar lights as you need, spacing them closer together. The technology for consumer brand solar lighting is weak. The batteries need to be replaced periodically, they can only be charged so many times. And I am pretty sure the solar panels age out eventually, making the fixture useless. Of course, the more we buy, the more competitive the manufacturers will become.....

Last edited by slownsteady; 08-02-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: changed a word for clarity

Quick Reply