DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Vent ideas for wood stove

Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 PM  
JLDuke

Default Vent ideas for wood stove

I just added a vent with a 6" duct fan behind my wood stove to move air into another room. It did not work as expected. Blows air but with no heat. Anyone have any ideas? The stove is 18' from the wall. Iwas thinking of constructing some kind of piping to the stove to capture more hot air, but I don't know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default move it up....

These types of ducts should be installed in the ceiling above fire place, or at least at the highest piont of wall behind. Good luck...

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM  
Hube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDuke View Post
I just added a vent with a 6" duct fan behind my wood stove to move air into another room. It did not work as expected. Blows air but with no heat. Anyone have any ideas? The stove is 18' from the wall. Iwas thinking of constructing some kind of piping to the stove to capture more hot air, but I don't know.
__________________________________________________ ______________

is the stove actually 18' (feet) from the wall, or do you really mean 18" (inches)
Anyways, Triple D has given good advice.... you need an overhead intake grille in order to accept any worthwhile heat that can be transferred to another room. A grille of approx 16" x 16"(or larger) would be good.

Quick Reply