Will this color sell?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoBeans

Reaction score
Hello,

I am putting my house on the market in about a month. Currently, my living room is a rich yellow/gold color. It works great with the green in my plants and the white trim and wooden blinds. My realtor and the stager both say it is fine to leave it this color. I wanted to get as many opinions as possible to see if I should leave it or repaint! I do not want to give a paint allowance, so if it will turn off buyers, I'd rather paint it now.

Thanks,
Joanna

IMG_0618.jpg

The paint color is fine. Price your house right and it will sell.

Hey JoJoBeans,

I guess you have heard that a paint job can do wonders :)
While a simple paint job does not improve your home value, it does improve your home image, and thus its marketability. This combined with the fact that buying a home is also an emotional move it makes sense to look for the right colour.
I personally love the yellow colour for the walls and the white colour for the trims. However, the most important thing is to know what the best living room colour is in your area. Since real estate is very local, it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Thus, to determine the best colour for your living room, I suggest that you visit renovated homes or new build homes in your area (especially the showrooms). The builders and professional renovators understand that buyers are moved emotionally and therefore use the best colours in that area combined with other inexpensive decorations to improve the marketability of their property.

Best of Luck to you

I love the color JoJobeans it looks very crisp and clean with the trim ,I wouldnt change a thing . Good luck with your sell !!

the color it's very fine....don't change anything...the buyers woud love it too

I personally don't like it and would emmidiately think I need to paint these walls when I buy the home. I am just one person and the people above me seem to not mind it so maybe I am wrong. It is sucha bold color, if it was me - I would repaint it

Funny...I watched a lot of those shows on the DIY channel where they expect us to believe that a buyer will pay $10k more for a house with a fresh coat of paint. In my experience, your buyers will probably re-paint in a year to make the house theirs. What they want to see is a house that is move-in ready with no big stains or damage.

Buyer A might look at it and say "It'll clash terribly with my furniture. If I buy this house I'll have to paint it immediately." Buyer B might say "It matches perfectly with my stuff and I can let it sit for a year while I decide what I want to do."

Paint, new carpet, and fancy accents are "delighters" but rarely are they deal makers or breakers. Someone like me looks at the house's bones. I bought a house in terrible condition with a bad paint job because I knew we'd change it. Some people will look at it differently, but the real factors in buying a home are: school district, beds and baths, structure, landscape, neighborhood, and then the delighters like closet organizers, great colors, fancy lighting. If it's something that can be easily changed it will and your buyers won't pay a premium for it.

The funny thing is that on those DIY shows where they're helping someone buy a home, the house picked is often far from being staged or having perfect colors or being in pristine condition.

Paint, new carpet, and adorned accents are "delighters" but rarely are they accord makers or breakers. Someone like me looks at the house's bones. I bought a abode in abhorrent action with a bad acrylic job because I knew we'd change it. Some humans will attending at it differently, but the absolute factors in affairs a home are: academy district, beds and baths, structure, landscape, neighborhood, and again the delighters like closet organizers, abundant colors, adorned lighting. If it's something that can be calmly afflicted it will and your buyers will not pay a exceptional for it.

Hi JoJoBeans,
Your home color looks fabulous. I and as well as other members of this forums got impressed as well. I don't think there is simply any need to repaint. Why simply to waste money, energy and time.

Regards
Austin

i love the color and and everyone has different taste some will like it and so will say this room needs painting. i have my house on the market now also and i painted my kitchen to freshen it up otherwise i am not painting for someone else. they will want to paint what they want. i love that color and good luck

I think the color is fine and looks good with the plants and furniture. I know you're not asking, but I would box up and store about half or more of your decrative stuff.

I agree with the previous post that the buyer is going to realize that he can paint the walls a different colour him/her self for the cost of a few gallons of paint, which is nothing compared to the price of the house.

But, I'm seeing real plants on wood that has a yellow or reddish or brown colour to it, all of which suggest that wood furniture in front of the window is made of wood that contains a lot of tannin. Those plants are potted in soil, and if you overwater those plants and the water leaks onto the wood, you're gonna wreck that furniture.

That's cuz any water that percolates through the soil in the pot will contain a lot of iron ions from the soil. And, when iron ion rich water comes in contact with tannic acid in wood, the result is iron tannate, or iron gall INK. Iron gall ink was commonly used in the middle ages and is a very permanent ink that you won't be able to remove from the wood.

Hopefully, there is a thick coating of varnish over that furniture that will protect the wood from coming into contact with any water that drips out of the potted plants.

I do really like her house in style.. Just sell it in a price that is right for the style of the house.

I think the color is fine....and a keeper for selling purposes. Cool fireplace tile.

Hi... while it's not a color I would choose for my LR, I DO like the look you've created. It's very classy but fresh.

I will tell you something though. When my DH and I bought our house, the seller had gone through and painted EVERY ROOM with basic, cheap, flat white paint. There was paint slops on the floor, ceilings, trims, cabinets and tile. EVERY ROOM. This stuff peels in spots, shows brush strokes and patches. It's Nasty Cheap!

It's been 8 years now. And I STILL have rooms (the baths) that I haven't painted yet. I've had to strip trim or replace it. One room I had to sand this stuff off the walls (paint builtup!). Then paint it all. And yes, they painted the solid mahogany front door with this cheap paint, and I am looking to replace or strip the DOOR. Arrggg.

I wish to heck the previous owner had NOT slapped that garbage all over the walls. Don't I just! I would much, MUCH rather not having to strip or replace everything. I could live with the well done yellow walls. Or at worst, It would be much easier to paint or paper over.

If I ever look at another house, and see that the seller has slapped paint all over it... I will NOT buy it. I don't want the head ache of undoing someone else's slap-dash job.

<sigh> Thank you for listening to my rant.... lol.

Blessings on your effort to sell your house.

I like the color!! Looks great!! I don't know if it will sell though. I always thought you were supposed to paint it a neutral color if you were selling.

Your house color is very nice. I think you should not change it. it will sourly sell.

Good Luck
Thanks

as a new home buyer myself, that color would be a turn off. yellow/golds are a thing of preferrence, i would have went with a more neutral tan/sand/white mix color. it would probably compliment the fireplace alot more.

The room looks clean and nice, just make sure you have a nice flow from room to room. I've bought and sold over 40 homes as a remodeler in Kansas City, from my experience, most people cannot imagine what the house would look like with thier stuff in it, especially when you have personized it. Remove family pictures, and items that are personal. Good luck, the nice homes are selling. kevin_frye | overland park, KS 66207

Latest posts

Back