Tape Measures

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:
If you figure out the brand of the one with batteries I would like to know. I had one that had a light in it. Used a watch battery. It was cheep, and broke quickly.
I think it's Black and Decker. I'll look at it tonight and report back. Batteries don't last long.

Yup, Black and Decker. I tried using it again the other day, dropped it twice, the batteries went flying (four AAA's). It's just too fat, bulky, heavy and clumsy to be anything but a PITA to try and use. Cute but no joy.

FAT!!!! I go for a fat, wide, tape. 3/4" minimum, maybe 1". 25' seems most useful for me. I like the Stanly as well as Lufkin, Kobalt is fine too.

One trick - If you are working with more than one tape or have a helper with their own tape, make sure they are 'calibrated' to each other. The ends can get worn differently or bent a little. Just make sure they both read the same. You dont want to measure 31 1/4" and your helper hands you 31 1/8" :eek:
Good tip! I never thought of that.

Stanley 25'

They seem to last me longer than the others. I like the idea of the 35' Fat Max, but nowadays if I'm measuring anything over 12' I'd just as soon grab the laser measure.

after years of using the ''fattest'' tape i could find,i find myself using a smaller width one [1/2''] and its lightweight and easy handling I'm starting to appreciate

I have one of those combination units with a light, notepad and tape measure in one. It is pretty durable as I have dropped it several times. Not quite sure what brand it is, but I'll check and post it up! Love it cause of the light and working late.

Hey guys, I’m Blake from the home depot in California my answer here is going to sound like an echo of a lot of the others in this thread.

In my toolbox is a STANLEY FatMax 25’ blade armor. For you guys that are asking about wide, long-standout tapes this is the one! 1.25” wide, 11 foot standout.

FATMAX 25 ft. Tape Measure - 33-725C at The Home Depot

I’m a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet

I prefer the Stanley Lever Lock that I have, but I am surprised I haven't seen this tape :
sl2825.jpg

My dad has had that one for a few year now and he abusing tapes. That one is the most solid feeling tape I have ever worked with, and it is decently priced... something like $8. The button really makes it easy to work with since it locks as you pull it out. His is an easy read 16' though.

I also keep my Tape measures with myself while doing any work, I have used different types of tape measures but currently which i am using is "Stanley 34-130 100-Foot FatMax Long Tape Rule"
here is a pic of it
412Z2S8ASAL.jpg

If anyone knows of a tape measure that won't disappear when the Better Half gets ahold of it, I'd sure like to know where I can get one.

Back