DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > My brother did a reroof w/out permitting??? What now...

Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

registry_dropdown_15773_108788

Liked 666 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Big Dawg, to House Repair Talk. The original post is 5 years old, chances are, it's not a problem anymore.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
registry_dropdown_17632_108789

Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Either because it blew off or it held for five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg72 View Post
As a contractor myself I hope it blows off in a storm.
If it does it may be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Here's some possible outcomes:

Follow good practice and roof doesn't blow off: conclusion is that good practice works or the storm wasn't bad, or both.

Follow good practice and roof blows off anyway: conclusion is that good practice does not guarantee the roof can withstand all storms.

Not follow good practice and roof doesn't blow off: conclusion is that the HO was lucky, or extraordinarily skillful.

Not follow good practice and roof blows off: conclusion is that the HO got what he/she deserved for going against the wisdom of good practice!
And I hope no bystanders were injured. . .
Or the roof would have blown off no matter what the HO did.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-29-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM  
ottmiester
registry_dropdown_34611_124513

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its done,you going to open a can of worms if you tell the inspectors about it done and over with it, they inspected the sheating when it was first done so there is nothing you can do about it now. I had a profesional company license and insured due my roof in fl.and they baisically did a good job took out a permit and posted it on the front door BUT THEY DID NOT DUE THE PROPER INSPECTIONS,they got done the inspector came out and failed it simply because they did not due the middle inspection,to make a long story short the company went out of buisness and filed bankrupsy,10 years later am still trying to close this permit out, solution i have to hire a structural engineer and a roofer to tear the roof appart and take pictures showing that was done correctlty and submit them and have it inspected and then they will close the permit out,if it was done correctly if not i have to re-do the whole roof again, i would of rather they did not take a permit out and the company was prosecuted by the state of fl 5 years later and still palm beach county will not give me a pass on the roof or just have a roofer check it and tell them it was done correctly ,it has to be a structural engineer its going to cost me 1000.00 to do that if it ok if not its going to cost like 10k to have the roof re-done ,it sucks big time and i insisted they take out a permit.trying to do the right thing.

Last edited by ottmiester; 03-12-2015 at 12:24 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 03-12-2015, 10:35 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

registry_dropdown_14946_124547

Liked 376 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Tough story Ottmeister, and welcome to the site. It's an old thread but the post is a good lesson for whoever reads it. If you can hold out another ten or so years, you can just go ahead with the next roof, I hope.