another laminate question ...sorry !

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesedays

Reaction score
This question is actually for a future project that I may or may not decide to pay someone else to do.

But the question is .......I see all these posts here about re-laminating existing countertops ....this got me looking at my kitchen countertops. My kitchen has a J shape. I have amount 6 feet of straight counter top and then it angles at the sink at a right angle for about 3 ft.

The laminate that is there now is not seamed. It's one continues peice. How did they do this ? I would think they would have had to have cut it at the angle or in the middle of the sink ...but they didn't.

Do home builders get continuous rolls of this so they don't have to seam it?

Not sure I understand your question, but you can get laminate in various size sheets up to a 5' by 12'.
In the past few years, the distributors have started being a little more fussy on cut sizes, and manufactures will only provide certain size sheets now on certain patterns. But 5 by 12 is the largest you can order.

I apologize that my question was confusing .....let me try again.

If the counter top is 3 feet wide and 6 feel long, this is the "straight" part of the counter top that runs along the cabinets, however, then as it continues it angels toward the right. lets say a 45 degree angel, where the sink is and the laminate continues past the sink for another counter top to the right of the sink.

This 45 degree angle section is also 3 ft in width and maybe 3 foot long.

So if a sheet is 5 x 10, you'd have to have two sheets to cover the entire counter top, correct? Meaning it would have to be seamed somewhere. My current laminate is not seamed, it is one continues piece.

I'm wondering how that is? Also, if I have to use two sheets and I'm not using a solid color laminate, wouldn't it be hard to match the two sheets with the 45 degree angle section?

If the area is larger than 5x12, it is seamed. Sheet goods are not, and never have been made larger than 5x12, at least not in my 30 + yrs of installing laminate. If I understand the layout, you have a corner sink. When I have to a seam in a top with a corner sink, and requiring a seam it is placed in the sink line, off one of the back corners, and at the front of the sink. The back seam is off the corner because it is the shortest distance, and the same for the front. I have installed seams that could not be seen, and that is what I try to do always. Usually, if you can't see the seam, you can feel it. Things to help with seaming is always paying attention to the direction of the pattern, (no quarter turning), and also pattern matching.

Back